How Big of a Tank Is Needed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
They do school together but they are also still damsels and can be very aggressive to each other, in the wild or large tanks they have the room to escape or get lost in the numbers, when you stick just 5 or 6 in a 55g aquarium not so much. Some people do get lucky and get a group who dont kill each other but for every story i hear like that you hear 2 or 3 others who weren't so fortunate.

Maybe try 5 line or yellow striped cardinals they'll kind of school together.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+1 to TL1000RSquid and do yourself a favor and leave the princess anthias and catalina goby off your list all together. Your chances of success with these fish are slim even if you are a seasoned vet. If you want an anthias, consider a lyretail or a bartletts.

While you might be ok with a 55, I would avoid that size all together and go with a 65, 75 or 90 minimum. This will give you a little extra room and also allow you to aquascape your tank much better. 55 footprints are difficult to work with. Its also harder to add decent size sump under a 55.

Welcome to the hobby!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with the above. Chromis ARE schoolers, but in a vast area. I had a 100gal SW years ago, and they use to always beat each other up.

A 55gal is better for fish only, better swimming room, but if you want coral then you need a more "square" tank would be better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store