How can I make my tank live again?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
if you combine that fixture with your current light you'll have 3.2 watts per gallon- it will work for a fast growing set up. by it's self you'd have 1.7WPG which i think would be a medium light set-up. just depends on what you're trying to achieve? Do you want to do a lot of pruning every week or would you rather a little less maintenance?

Do you have a vision for what you'd like the tank to look like? if you've seen tanks online that you like, posting a picture of those might help us determine if you're better off with high or medium or low light.

cheers-K

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I'm aiming for a lush green lawn on the bottom with lots of different sized plants growing in the tank. I'd like something similar to a lot of professional aquariums. I don't quite have their budget, but I do already own most of the equipment I need I think.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I'd go with what Kyle and JMHart have stated to get your algae under control and stuff your tank with a lot more plants ASAP--anacharis would be a good starting plant for low cost. IMO--I'd seriously consider the T5's from the link JMHart provided. The T5's are a far better light. The coralife that you have provided a link to will not be worth replacing what you already have on the tank and if you are going to spend those $$'s anyway--why not upgrade to the T5? Just my 2-cents.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I'd go with what Kyle and JMHart have stated to get your algae under control and stuff your tank with a lot more plants ASAP--anacharis would be a good starting plant for low cost. IMO--I'd seriously consider the T5's from the link JMHart provided. The T5's are a far better light. The coralife that you have provided a link to will not be worth replacing what you already have on the tank and if you are going to spend those $$'s anyway--why not upgrade to the T5? Just my 2-cents.
What advantages 2x54 T5 offer over the 2x55 CF that I linked too? Lighting is incredibly confusing to me. I've yet to find anywhere that spelled it out in plain English.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Well, T5 is quickly becoming the standard. I have PC lighting over my 45g and 46g tanks, but I recently acquired a 75g with T5 lighting, and so far I definitely prefer the T5.

For a high light tank, yes, you'll need another fixture. But for a low light setup, you're fine as is. Either way, I would set up the co2.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Well, T5 is quickly becoming the standard. I have PC lighting over my 45g and 46g tanks, but I recently acquired a 75g with T5 lighting, and so far I definitely prefer the T5.

For a high light tank, yes, you'll need another fixture. But for a low light setup, you're fine as is. Either way, I would set up the co2.
I'll second that-love my t5

cheers-K

fl4ian

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
but the 110 spiral florescent is really only a 28w (or something similar) on the wpg rule. we just had a discussion of this on another thread. it's not the incandescent equivalent, it's the florescent watts. for instance, my 3 - 100w (27w) spiral compact florescents over my 100g tank is really only 81w which equals .8 wpg.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
but the 110 spiral florescent is really only a 28w (or something similar) on the wpg rule. we just had a discussion of this on another thread. it's not the incandescent equivalent, it's the florescent watts. for instance, my 3 - 100w (27w) spiral compact florescents over my 100g tank is really only 81w which equals .8 wpg.

I'm 90% sure we're talking about CF as in power compact T5, not CFL as in the spiral bulb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store