How can you tell if you over feed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RBP Guy

AC Members
Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
Is it possible to tell if you over feed your fish? If so how? Does doing this cloud your water? I just want my boys to be healthy. Thanks

Last edited:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
If they don't eat it all you've over fed.

If you see food on the substrate, you've overfed.

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
i heard as much as they can eat in 2 mins but i think thats too long so i do 1 min

wetmanNY

AC Members
If you go away fo ra three-day weekend and when you come back, the water is clearer, you're overfeeding.

If you dont give full-grown fish a "fast day" once a week, you're overfeeding.

I agree with Renegade. Even a full minute of feeding frenzy is a heckuva long time, if you time it with a watch.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
As was pointed out on another board, we are too often guilty of comparing fish feeding to feeding ourselves, or cats or dogs. The problem here is that we, and cats and dogs, burn massive amounts of energy every minute of every day regulating our temperature. It takes a lot of calories to maintain a healthy body temp--for mammals. In fish, reptiles and amphibians, there is no energy spent keeping warm--they just work muscles to swim, and digest. This requires much, much less food to maintain.

I feed every other day. Fish that get too much food are prone to health problems, just like humans.

loralove

Registered Member
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
I too had the WORST cloud in my 30 gal tank!
It was terrible. I went away on vacation and changed my water 25%. I then put one of those weekend feeders in. I came back and to my amazement my water was much clearer. I tried those water clearing agents and they did not work. I have several fish in my tank. I have 2 Bala Sharks, 5 Tiger barbs, 2 tinfoil barbs, 3 krebensis, 1 pleco, 3 congo tetras, and 2 clown loaches - they feed like crazy and i some how always feel as though they dont get enough to eat. I still dont have the crystal clear water that i would like to have. Any suggestions?

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
i also feed

once every other day, remember fish are cold blooded not like us, everything orion girl says pretty much explains it for ya, but ive heard some people who only feed once a week

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
loralove--your tank is overstocked. Bala sharks can get to 12 inches easily, tinfoils hit 6-8 handily, and clown loaches should be about 12 inches as adults. Your tank can't support this bioload, and the cloudiness is proof. Reduce the bio-load, or get a bigger tank--say a 125.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store