How did I miss that???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Its gelatinous (i think), its semi clear blue/grey, it seems to change its shape a tiny bit every time I see it, and its living under/on the side of a piece of LR. Its also living on some of the sand substrait, holding it together. Never really noticed it before, didn't think it was worth talking about, but recently its been growing these... growths (so clear, right?) little grey/clear arm/protrusion like things that i think(?) are hollow (don't hold me to that) and sort of wiggle like jello in the current. These things have only been growing there (AFAIK) in the past few days. Its just a tiny bit creepy...

Besides that, I also noticed a number of tube worm like critters, cept that only have 2 of those fan/duster/trailer things. Other then that, perfectly tube wormy, and they've been there for several months, unchanged except in number (more now).

And another thing I just noticed: a ton of really, really tiny feather dusters. They are pale white, I always thought they were fish poo or something (no idea why i assumed that) but I noticed that there were more of them then the last time I checked, so I looked real close and saw the tiny little duster parts. Awesome :D

Also in the tank are a number of glass anemones, which I have decided to keep, so long as they don't start harming the fish. They are very interesting, and the biggest (about a centimeter across and a centimeter tall, not including the tenticals) is very fun to feed, and to watch as it eats the food. lol, my Cardinal fish decided it wanted some of that food, big mistake for the poor foolish fish, I've never seen it move that fast before, lol. I know they can become a major problem, but I think I can control it for now, and if I can't I'll try another peppermint shrimp, see if that works again. Just wanted to balbber about these guys, no need to help me with them.

Oh, and now for some critters that have diapeared for some reason: Pinapple Sponges. Is it bad if they disapear from your tank? Same with Spiroid Feather Dusters (or whatever there called), if they all but vanish is that bad?

Total tank ihabitants(besides the ones I've already metioned): Limitless bristleowmrs (IMO), a large number of those tiny starfish fellas, a large number of those tiny snail fellas, 2 hermits, 5 fish (Cardinal, Clownfish, Firefish, 2 Green Chromis), and 21 lbs of live rock.

So now what i wanna know is if any of these critters have a name and if they could become dangerous. Thanks in advance!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
so... no one knows?

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
I am not sure what you are looking at (picture)...do they stick out a long thread like a fishing line? The glass anemones are not a big deal. They actually are good phosphate eaters according to my LFS. I have had 3 or 4 for the last 6 months - just kinda of watching to see if they get out of hand.

Can't help with the pinapple sponges, but I don't think there disapperance is any reason for concern. All of my feather have disapeared too - it's a bummer. I have never been able to keep them for reasons I can't figure out. Every tank seems to have things that flourish and things that wont.

The starfish can explode in your tank, so watch them. I have never had a bristle worm, but they sound creepy. As far as the little snail fellas - Do they have shells, or do they look like slugs? If they look like slugs they would be stomatela snails, which are amazingly cool!

If you post pictures I am sure many will chime in with answers.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I am not sure what you are looking at (picture)...do they stick out a long thread like a fishing line? The glass anemones are not a big deal. They actually are good phosphate eaters according to my LFS. I have had 3 or 4 for the last 6 months - just kinda of watching to see if they get out of hand.

Can't help with the pinapple sponges, but I don't think there disapperance is any reason for concern. All of my feather have disapeared too - it's a bummer. I have never been able to keep them for reasons I can't figure out. Every tank seems to have things that flourish and things that wont.

The starfish can explode in your tank, so watch them. I have never had a bristle worm, but they sound creepy. As far as the little snail fellas - Do they have shells, or do they look like slugs? If they look like slugs they would be stomatela snails, which are amazingly cool!

If you post pictures I am sure many will chime in with answers.
I have both stromatela and normal snails, the starfish have already spread quite a bit.

"I am not sure what you are looking at (picture)...do they stick out a long thread like a fishing line?"

Are you referring to the grey/blue goo like thing? If so, they are more chunky and stubby then threadlike.

I would have put pics, but the only camera i have sucks... stupid camera. I tried, and failed, to get any detail, I couldn't even see most of the stuff. Anyway, the camera is at my dads house, so at best I have to wait a full week before I can get any pics up.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
Check out this site for identification http://www.melevsreef.com/id/ it has a great catalog of many things you would find in a tank.

I am not sure if it will have your gray/blue goo thing - not sure what that could be.

The Stomatella snails are amazing. I remember the first time I saw the little smoke signals of their broadcast reproduction. If you ever catch it you may notice that every snail in the tank will basically stand up. All mine disappeared years ago - I miss them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store