how did your fishkeeping get started?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hwo did you get started fish keeping

• goldfish from fair or etc

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • freind

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • parent

Votes: 60 20.0%
  • just decided to do try it

Votes: 110 36.7%
  • other

Votes: 66 22.0%

• Total voters

tbone

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I was christmas shopping a year ago. I saw a deal on a 10 gallon tank. So I figured I'd try it. Now I have 3 tanks running and a qt tank, not bad for just over a year, I think. Go figure

MoparORnoCAR

It's our struggles that define us.
Dec 8, 2005
LaCrosse, WI
I always loved my grandpa's 25 gallon hex so when I was 13 I saved up and bought a 10 gallon. I really loved the hobby but my tank was destroyed in the LA earthquake in 1994. I am now the proud owner of a 55 gallon and am quicky becoming an aquaria addict! :)

Stefanie

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Maryland
A friend of mine had one of those tiny aquababy tanks with two white clouds and an olive nerite snail in it. He did not care for it anymore and gave it to me. I could not stand seeing them in there, so I asked my husband if I could have a fish tank for my next birthday. He bought me a 20G tank. I put them in, and a week later (as per instructions in the "manual") I went to the store and asked them, what other fish I could put in with them. They sold me 4 dwarf puffers... After realizing that something was wrong with my tank (high ammonia levels and nitrites), I googled and found this forum. Shortly after the white cloulds were missing their fins, and I set up a separate 12G tank for my puffs (fishless cycle). Since then I have added a 10G tank and recently a 2.5G tank and a 20G brackish tank...
I am addicted ;-)

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
My Dad had an outdoor pond(which was not well taken care of really) with some goldfish and a common pleco in it. I found out that plecos and goldfish don't mix well and started a quest to seperate my favorite fish from the others and give him better care than what the other fish were getting in the pond. So, I bought a 55g tank and within a few weeks he'd already outgrown it. So, I knew the next best thing would be to give him to an lfs which had the room for him. I took him in, got some aquarium salt and plants in the trade. Started out with some zebra danios to cycle the tank, which the lfs said was alright, although now I wouldn't do that again. All the danios came through well, no one got sick or died. Then came white clouds, swordtails, more plants, kuhli loaches, and a redtail shark. Thus, my community aquarium developed.~Angela

bghall

AC Members
Feb 1, 2010
After a passing statement that I thought a friends tank was nice, my son bought me a 40 gal with all the accessories. I did a lot of research, set it up, waiting about a month and then stocked it. That was 9 years ago this past Christmas and I still have one of my original Siamese Algae Eater. He is huge, and my favorite. He has survived 3 moves during the last 9 years and has had new tank mates for the last 2. Who knew I would grow to love fish keeping?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
THE NEIGHBOR HOOD POND!

I went to the neighborhood pond and caught some small fish ,put them in a tank, and boom i was hooked.

After that i went through the faze of overstock and crash, until i found out i needed to take care of the WCs.:eek3: Then my tanks stopped crashing.:) After that i learned that i needed to stop overstocking. :eek: I also had some expirience with snapping turtles :headbang2: (kept several as babies, fed them feeder fish). Ive had expo with all sorts of wild and store bought fish too.:dance: Ive had sunfish and catfish and goldfish and koi and minnows (from the river) AND guppies in the same tank. It was about 30-40 gallons i think. :headshake2: Also in that tank were tadpoles and one snapper wow!

That was the most overactive tank ever!:dance:

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
My dad had a couple of fish tank and did every thing the wrong way (still does it wrong) kills everything he keeps. I learned a lot from my dad! :)

Adroit

AC Members
Apr 3, 2008
My first fish was a goldfish just like Elmo's pet fish. Although I probably went through a dozen or so before realizing that goldfish aren't meant for 10 gallons.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
So, there was DSW Shoes and PetSmart right next to each other. Mom needed shoes (gah, women) and Dad needed to get cat food. I went with my dad to petsmart. Then WOWWWWW. I got really interested.

My first fish was 2 mollies and a swordtail.... in a 2.5G.

Gotta love them noobs like me!

I upgraded a week later to a 10G after the fish died of ich.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
parents decided to take us shopping at queens center mall, stopped in in macy's which had a pet shop! can u believe this?! anyone else remember this?
as we were browsing dad says let's get a fish tank, we say ok. a 10gal brush gold plated tank & stand!
we go angels kisser g, blue g, silver $ & albino cory!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store