how do i use malachite green?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Packaging isn't very clear and I don't want to risk my fish. I currently have him isolated in a half gallon just for treatment I'm keeping a close eye on him. Noone else is showing symptoms and I did tons of research and noone seems to have step buy step directions

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
Malachite green is *very* potent stuff, and should only be used as a last resort (in my opinion). That said, there's a lot of missing information in your post...

Why are you treating your fish? What are it's symptoms?

Also, a half gallon is far, far too small to treat anything in. Buy a 10 gallon tank to use as your hospital tank. Also be sure to get a cheap filter, heater, and an air pump/airstone. A basic hospital setup runs at about $60, and can double as a quarantine tank when you buy new fish.

Last edited:

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I can't have another ten gallon I'm in a dorm. Its tatsu my betta his tank is a ten gallon. I was told to get meth blue but they only had malachite green. He appears to have fin rot. He got an open wound and it was healing then just started to decay. Its not affecting my other fish so I'd rather treat him alone. I will get a better hospital tank when I don't have space restraints. I asked on another forum what I should treat him with and meth blue was the first thing that came up. I'd get bettafix but with my tank its not cost effective and Melafix isn't safe

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
If you treat him in anything less than a 10 gallon you will most likely overdose, which can kill the fish. You *will* overdose in a half gallon; measuring things out correctly for such little water is near impossible. Fish with fin rot also need very clean water, so the more fresh water available, the better. Keeping your betta in a half-gallon bowl for treatment will probably worsen his condition.

Malachite green is primarily for parasitic infections, not fin rot (though it can help with fungus, but not bacterial). It sounds like your betta has a bacterial infection, treating with malachite will most likely do nothing but stress your fish further.

When it comes to owning animals, anything that contributes to the animal's good health is cost effective. If I were you I would have gone with the Bettafix. Bettafix is Melafix, just with smaller more accurate dosage instructions for betta bowls. Many people say Melafix isn't good stuff, but I've used it periodically for years and have seen great results.

You really need to consider getting a larger treatment tank, though.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
For now can I do daily water changes and treat him with bettafix in the half gallon? Its measured for small containers of water ... Would that work? I can go get some. Having malachite on hand won't hurt. I keep his water veryu clean with frequent water changes I hate seeing him in the half gallon. I got it as a snail breeding tank not for him. I will get a bigger tank asap its just not possible right now :(

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the product that really works is "Betta Revive" by Hikari. comes in a little fish shaped bottle. for dosing a half gallon you would only need about 4 drops at the most (package says 1 drop per 16 ounces of water). daily 100% water changes and re-dosing of meds. i swear by this stuff for severe fin rot cases.

could you please post a photo of the 'decaying wound'? this will help us determine if medication is necessary, or if daily water changes and a pristine and clean environment are what is needed.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
As soon as I find my camera I will post pics but he has lost a third of his tail.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
one thing i just thought of...... what are his tankmates in the 10 gallon? this may be a case of fin nipping rather than fin rot. and the 'decaying wound' may be getting picked at as well, halting recovery. how exactly did he get the wound?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have no idea how he got the original wound I think it was when he moved into the tank and it was healing. His tank mates are guppies and oto's. Nothing that would at all harm him.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
but guppies could be likely to pick at an already open wound. plus, i have read that guppies have the potential to be fin nippers.

perhaps look into a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank for the lil betta boy, so that he may have a peaceful, albeit solitary, life. little tanks this size take up no room at all and most kitchen countertops usually have an un-used corner..... lol

oh wait, forgot you're in a dorm room. corner of your desk?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store