How do YOU control the Algae in your tank?????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iljadej

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
I am getting annoyed at waking up every morning having to scrape off/clean the algae on the side of my tank. Now, I don't overfeed, my tank is not by any windows at all; however, I do tend to sometimes keep the light on a little longer 11-12 hrs a day, but I did buy a surge protector with a timer to solve that problem. I've tried algae fix, it kinda works but not really. I've been thinking about buying phosphoguard to put in my filter. Has anyone had any experience with phosphoguard, and does anyone do anything else that has proven to be effective against algae growth on tanks glass, rocks etc.?????

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
We need a lot more info. Do you have plants in your tank?? What size tank?? Do you do WC?? How many fish??

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I limit my photoperiods to eight hours or less, I change bulbs at least once a year, ensure I use quality foods (I do NOT use Wardley of Tetra foods) and do weekly water changes of 30-50% (to include vacuuming).

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I have loads of plants, I have a load of floating plants. I use ferts weekly and I feed high quality food... Oh and I have a 9 hour photo period.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
I keep my lights on for 12 hours a day, 3 gallon tank, LED lights 8 watts total(so not too much light). The tank is very heavily planted with java ferns and anubias nana and a nymphae stellata. I keep them all on the small end by way of pruning regularly. Water changes of 50-75 percent once a week, I only feed my fish once ever 3 days (betta), I use fertilizer by use of root tabs in play sand, and I add diy co2 (which I think keeps the plants healthy and the algae way down), and I also have to add seachem liquid nitrogen to keep the nitrates up due to plant growth. I try for around 5 to 10 ppm of nitrate. I don't use a filter and I just have a really small RIO powerhead for circulation. The tank is pretty much algae free, maybe a little on the front glass where there is sunlight from a window across the room, but that's it, and it isn't bad at all.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I try to limit natural sunlight as much as possible along with what everyone else said. Is your tank new? What kind of algae are you getting? In most new tanks you typically get diatoms or brown algae. Mine go away after time, water changes, and scrubbing the glass. Oto catfish and nerite snails also take care of most algae problems.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
Controlled Photoperiod, Good dosing schedule to help plants grow and outcompete the algae for nutrients, floating plants to soak up any extra nutrients, Water Changes.

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
If you're using actinic in your lighting, that can sometimes make your algae worse. When I switched out my 50/50 actinic to regular fluorescent, my algae stopped growing so rapidly. Other things I've used to keep algae to a dull roar: lots of live plants, ancistrus plecos, shortening the photo period to 8 to 10 hours, and a single apple snail. Only use one apple snail because if you have two, they'll take over your tank. They breed worse than rabbits. But in my experience, they are slow but steady algae munchers. Once your algae is gone, you will want to introduce something else for them to eat, or they may turn to your live plants. I've kept them in densely planted tanks though, and they move so slowly with the eating that they never did any serious damage. Hence why only one is a good idea. Out of all of these options, the ancistrus pleco had the most immediate and visible affect on my algae problem. Everyone I've ever known who tried to use chemical fixes against algae failed. So I'd quit wasting your money in that regard. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store