How do you get veggies to sink?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by dbcb314
my pleco just eats algae, he gets nothin special. now, if i bought a cool looking pleco, then maybe he would get some lettuce, maybe
And he will eventually starve to death, because, as they get bigger, they'll finish a whole tank of algae in a day.

Lettuce really has little nutritive value for plecs.

I hope that you are enlightened enough now to realize that letting your pleco subsist on algae is going to be a death sentence as his size increases.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
It's funny how people buy plecos to 'clean' their tank, and then wonder why they starve to death. Ever watch a pleco while he's facing you on the glass? Ever see him really get anything off the glass?? It's algae wafers, spinach and cukes for mine. I use a lead sinker (and take it back out after he's done eating) and run a lock tie thru the slice of cuke (after I've nuked it). Then run the lock tie through the loop on the sinker.

Agreed: lettuce has no nutitive value at all, people shouldn't even bother eating it. A spinach salad is so much better.

dbcb314: for the sake of the fish, I hope you don't buy anything 'cool-looking' or otherwise, since you don't seem to have a clue about proper fishkeeping.

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
dbcb314: for the sake of the fish, I hope you don't buy anything 'cool-looking' or otherwise, since you don't seem to have a clue about proper fishkeeping.
that seems a bit harsh. ok so he/she may need to do a bit more research but then don't we all?

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
flames from 2 spots, it feels like hades...

batam,
wow, im surprised

aquariaddictus,
1st thing, actually, yeah, my tank is perfectly clean of algae on the glass. i wonder whose doin that? maybe my pleco, just a thought. and there's plenty to eat, trust me, hes lazy.

2nd thing, i knew lettuce is worthless for humans, didnt think of fish that way though. granted, thats probably true. spinach is good by the way.

3rd thing, i do know stuff about fish. just because i dont feed my pleco other sources of food does not mean i dont know anything. i knew that they needed another source of food IF they have nothing else to eat. mine has plenty, including algae and he eats flakes for some reason. now, about the cool looking pleco thing. if i bought a pleco that cost $20 instead of $3, i will dang well make sure it had plenty of food. i wouldnt take the 2% chance of my pleco starving that i am now. better safe than sorry.

4th thing, i do have cool looking fish, including an african knife, elephant nose, red devil, severum, krib, loaches, ect ect (i have a lot of fish) and they are doing just fine. i like fish, they are cool, i was just bringing up the point that not all people feed there plecos different sources of food. didnt mean to piss anyone off (again)
peace

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
They sell these little bendy metal strips in the lfs - just poke one thru a piece of veggie and it sinks to the bottom. Nice!

My pleco loves zucchini, cucumbers, etc. BTW it's really funny to just drop a round slice of zucchini or cucumber in there. It floats and the pleco will attach himself to it to eat upside down. Hilarious! :D

Myself, I don't care whether a fish cost $2 or $20, since this is the last home they'll ever have, I'm gonna see to it that they're happy and well-fed.

Large algae tabs work wonders. Great for daily feeding. I give my 12" pleco 2 each day with fresh veggies as treats every once in awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store