How do you gravel vac with short groundcover plants??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
How do you vacuum the gravel when you have short groundcover plants, without damaging their root systems or the plants themselves?

I would like to add some of this type of plant to my new 100 gallon but can't seem to figure out how to vacuum the gravel once the plants are covering the gravel.

wetmanNY

AC Members
One of the main services groundcover plants provide the fishkeeper is that they make it impossible to stir up the gravel or mix aerobic nitrifying and other bacteria helterskelter with anaerobic bacteria now suddenly poisoned by oxygen, stirring organic debris down into low-oxygen levels and making phosphates available to algae, etc etc...

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
One of the main services groundcover plants provide the fishkeeper is that they make it impossible to stir up the gravel or mix aerobic nitrifying and other bacteria helterskelter with anaerobic bacteria now suddenly poisoned by oxygen, stirring organic debris down into low-oxygen levels and making phosphates available to algae, etc etc...
Informative Wetman, but I am still not clear as to your recomendation. :confused: Could you dumb it down a little for we of the slight of understanding?

wetmanNY

AC Members
Gravel vacuuming is a holdover from turtle tanks. ...I guess that's what I meant!

All substrates are very low in oxygen, within hours of the vacuuming. I vacuum over the surface. I blow stuff up off the gravel. I replant only when (way beyond) necessary. I try not to disturb the substrate. ...my tanks are all planted, and I don't have big gravel-shifting cichlids-- so it does depend, doesn't it...

My big Botia modesta can uproot pretty well established stuff. Try growing plants wedged between two cobbles with their flat sides facing each other.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Ahh, I get it now.

Your the Wizard of Ahhhhs!

Would you recomend this vaccuming procedure for light to moderately planted tanks as well? I think I would much prefer to vac in the manner you've described.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store