How does one ship fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Hello all. I'm raising a batch of Green Terror babies and they're coming along nicely. I moved them off of the liquid food to the solid small fry food. In another month, they should be ready to move into a 10 gallon. My question is, how do you ship fish? I have a few people on this board whom I'd like to send some of these babies to. Anyone know how?

katfood

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
I think most online stores that send fish do it with medium-sized styrofoam containers. I would bag the fish and THEN put it into the styrofoam container, keeping containers as large as possible... also I wouldnt put more than one fish in a container. And this is a given, be sure to get the fastest delivery possible. And the warmer it is outside, the better.

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
Most people also add a heat pack after warping the bags with newspaper. Hope this helps!

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
double bag the fish, depending on size is going to limit how many fish in one bag. Just enough water to cover the fish no matter how the bag is held. then place the bag(s) in a styro box and pack news paper around the bags. Now if its winter or even cooler out place heat packs between the bags and the newspaper. Place the styro box in a cardboard box. Now if your going to promise alive on arival then overnight is the ONLY way I would have them sent. Also make sure that there will be someone there to get them....I couldn't wait till me fish arrived so I don't think this would be a problem.

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
Go to a sporting goods store and buy some cheap small-medium styrofoam coolers, since it is winter you can maybe add a small heat packet too. Make sure there is LOTS of air in the bag when you close it up. It's easier to ship a few fish in several bags than a bunch of fish in one bag. Mark it "fragile, live tropical fish". The other people had some good tips too! One guy here ships them with "pure" O2 in the bag, not sure if that is feasible for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store