How does the under gravel filter work????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If you are going to use a Fluval FX5 don't even waste your time with the UGF, you have more than enough filtration.

I know people use them, obviously. But they are more work. As you guys point out there are all sorts of conditions just to get them to work right.

Pros and cons are one thing, but IMO there are NO pros to UGFs that other filters can't do better, in a way that is easier to maintain, etc.

And I never said they were designed in the 80s, I said they went obsolete in the 80s (which should imply they were around before that).

I understand that UGFs can work well enough, and that gravel can work as well. But that doesn't mean there are not much better options out there. IME sand is a much better option than gravel in almost every freshwater tank. It is cleaner, much more natural, much less maintenance (NONE!), is a better option for MANY species of fish, and looks better.

The way I setup tanks creates the minimal amount of work needed. NO vacuuming. Water changes are just drain and fill. Filters need to be cleaned monthly, like any filter (except UGFs which need weekly maintenance).

IMO in ten years gravel will be just like UGFs, considered old school, outdated, and the only people using them are the people who started when they were the best option, figured out how to make them work well enough, and are just sticking with them no matter what.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
hi all,
I just picked up a 80 gal tank, 48" wide x 18" deep x 22" high, and am preparing to install a filter system prior to cycling. I believe I will use a Fluval FX/5 canister to drive a reverse flow UGF setup. I will use the Fluval split output to drive the UGF's in reverse flow and the other for tank agitation/jet. Seems to me that with basic upkeep this would be an excellent filtering scheme for a medium stocked community freshwater setup. With the UGF to handle the bio filtration and the Fluval to provide prefiltering and charcoal filtration (it has been freed from doing bio by the UGF) it seems to be a balanced approach, to myself anyways :) And it is nice to have a good cannister filter for polishing and chem filtration when needed. Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on my proposed setup. Thanks all and I look forward to being a part of this forum.
I used UGF's too....back in the day (and still had one recently in a 10g... but exploring deep sand beds more and more...

You don't need the UGF - you'll get plenty of bio-filtration in the substrate without it. Check into 'deep sand bed'. Put some bio-media in the canister for good measure and skip the carbon (you don't need it unless until you're tried to remove tannins or meds).
I'm running a 60g with a couple of AquaClear HOBs and I have crystal clear water.

steveshriver

AC Members
Nov 12, 2011
thx for the advice

hi Dad,
I will look into the deep sand method. I know nothing about it. I have been leery of out of tank bio filtration in the past but that was long ago and its a new day in cannister filters and I am willing to learn. Thx for the reply
Steve

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't do DSB in freshwater. That is one method of keeping nitrate low in a reef tank, but it is not needed in freshwater. The problem is that because it is so deep it can prevent oxygen from getting to the whole sand bed and create toxic gas pockets. It simply isn't worth the risk.

One big problem is that UGFs require that maintenance every single week ever. If you neglect it at all you can't just drag the filter to the sink and catch up like you can with a HOB or canister. I can do a water change on my tanks without vacuuming at all, all the time. It is not a major issue, but if I can do more work or less work and the tank runs even better with the sand and requires less work why would I waste my time with UGFs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store