How long can cory cats live?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snflwr78

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
NE Ohio
When I was four, my mom bought a cory cat for her fish tank for 75 cents at some local grocery store that had a small fish section in the back. That little guy lasted for 16 years and died when I was 20. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of cory cats lasting that long because when I tell this story I get the impression that most people are thinking :liar:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, wow. that is impressive. are you sure your mom didn't keep replacing Mr. Cory Cat behind your back so you wouldn't get upset? I'm not saying you're a liar, just that your mom was. . . . protective of your feelings.

i have three that are over 3 years old (wal-mart fish, no less) and going strong.

snflwr78

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
NE Ohio
Positive it was the same fish. We had plenty of fish die over the years and she never lied about them. Not to mention she still loves to tell that story and I am 29 now...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, very cool. i hope mine stay with me for that long.

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
From wikipedia->

"The lifespan of Corydoras panda in the aquarium has not been systematically determined, but given the longevity of other Corydoras species in the aquarium, it is reasonable to assume that well-cared for specimens will enjoy a lifespan in excess of 10 years, and frequently in excess of 15 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_corydoras

Regarding C. aeneus (also from wikipedia)->

"Their average lifespan is 15 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_corydoras

Sam

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I had a school of Cory Bondi (about 8) when I was in high school, college and just a little after (about 11 years). They died during my move because "STUPID ME" forgot to plug in heater in tank!!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Each species is slightly different, but for the most part the larger Corys can live up over 15yrs. My experience has bene that most live to about 10-12

I cycled my 1st tank with neon's and 4 Schwarti's when I was a kid (2 lived threw it), and raised them (as a kid). They lived for an amazing 8 yrs each. One died and the other followed about 9 months later. But at that time I was just driving, and well girls drove me away from the hobby for a few years...:crazy:

The oldest dwarf I know of was 7yrs (long sense passed on), but most of my fellow aquariest that really enjoy Corys rarely keep Pandas longer than 5 yrs, but I'm sure they can live well past this in ideal conditions.

BTW - Squawkbert Love the Avatar! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store