How long for plants to take?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Hey guys. I finally got some live plants for my aquarium. Nothing to special as all I have is a low light tank. I ended up getting some hygrophila difformis (or wisteria) and planted it yesterday in my tank but it is looking droopy. I am just wondering if this is normal or if the plant will pickup and look better after a while. Anyways here is a picture of what it looks like.

HPIM3601.JPG

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The leaves on that show it's been grown out of water; it may drop its leaves, in which case wait until the far more feathery aquatic leaves have developed, then break off the leafless lower stem and replant the top.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
ok that makes sense but it will not die on me if it does drop it's leaves right, it will just replace them with the feathery ones?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
ok that makes sense but it will not die on me if it does drop it's leaves right, it will just replace them with the feathery ones?
Should do. Problem with these plants is growing emersed is so much easier - lots of CO2, lots of O2 at night, lots of light. I got a bit behind on my trimming lately, and, well, thread with lots of pics to follow...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Yep, it'll be fine. It will just take a little while to adjust.

jimangie1973

AC Members
Oct 29, 2005
Melbourne, Florida
The leaves on that show it's been grown out of water; it may drop its leaves, in which case wait until the far more feathery aquatic leaves have developed, then break off the leafless lower stem and replant the top.
I planted the same emersed wisteria a couple months ago. I now have the nice feathery leaves on top but the bottom is still looking ratty so this idea sounds great.

Can you just cut the stem where the feathery leaves start and put the stem in the substrate? If it's that easy, I may do that this weekend.

Jim

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
You can cut it wherever you like. It can regrow from any bit of stem; if there's a growing tip it will carry on growing up; if there isn't it will branch. You can make it branch by taking of the top growing tip (apical bud, technically).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store