how long should java be tied down?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
nope, mine attach to this fake log i got just fine, java moss too. not to mention rocks. ive even seen java moss growing up glass

Yuri De Lima

AC Members
Nov 2, 2005
Alexandria,VA
Roan Art said:
This question isn't beneath anyone in here ;)

About a week or two. Every time you do a waterchange, give it a little tug and see if it's rooted or not. If it has you can cut the string.

I use dark colored elastics instead of string. Not as noticable :)

Roan

Why not just use the rock with purple string, I thought that was what is was meant for. :joke:

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I use black rubber bands when it's not too much of a hassle to loop them on otherwise I'll use staples. With plantlets I just stick the roots in the substrate. After a week there's usually enough gravel attached so I can lay them where I want.

lucas68

Registered Fish User
Jan 4, 2006
Newark, DE
Yuri De Lima said:
Why not just use the rock with purple string
I’ve been waiting for that.

TetraFreak said:
Some folks use fishing line as well...more invisible that way!
I also recommend the fishing line, just remember to remove the hooks. I use it for my java moss and java ferns. It isn’t very noticeable and it won’t break down before the plant grabs hold.

ari

AC Members
Dec 28, 2005
indonesia
i used fishing line, the trick is never tie the java ferns too tigh. it takes about a year for the roots to really establish themselves on the diftwood, in most case, u dont need to remove the fishing line, ...the roots will cover them over in good time.
java ferns are slow growing ...so give them time and leave them alone.

this is my geophagus setup...amazon sword plant would really be nice in this setup ..but then they would never get a chance to grow with a pack of digging geophagus around.
i tied java ferns high up, so the geophagus never bothers them. the lighting is low...and suits the fern well.

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
Very nice tank, Ari, and good tips on fastening down the ferns, too :)

SynoSteff

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
I just baught a java fern and simply put the root ball through a hole in my driftwood. Will it survive like this? Or must i actualy tie it so the root mass is actually pushed up against the wood?

Ari, did you take those photos at an angle on purpose? To prevent a reflection from the flash?

mandimoron

raving platy fangirl
Oct 2, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
perturbedmango.net
SynoSteff said:
I just baught a java fern and simply put the root ball through a hole in my driftwood. Will it survive like this? Or must i actualy tie it so the root mass is actually pushed up against the wood?
I think you'll be okay without tying it down, really. I tried fastening my java fern to some driftwood with some hemp, but I think my fish figured out how to untie knots. o_O The string came loose after a couple days, but the plant's still where I had attached it. I think that as long as there are some good nooks and crannies for the roots to tuck into, you'll be cool without tying it down.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I use green twist tie that comes in 100 foot rolls called Twist-ems. I get them at wally world. Usually I can remove the tie after a month and the java fern is rooted. Bolbitis and anubius take considerably longer. I use the fishing line for riccia because I never can get it to root to wood, so the line stays there and is eventually covered.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store