How long?......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hello! So I have had my 5 juvi discus for 2 months now in a 29 gal grow out tank.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171476&page=2

They are all doing very good and seem to be very healthy to me. My only problem is that one of them is not growing as fast than the others. He keeps getting bullied by the others during feeding time but he stills eat like a pig everytime he gets a chance.

My question is how much longer should I keep them in there before I transfer them to the 55 gal planted tank that I have?

Second question is when I transfer them should i leave the smallest one behind and let him grow out some more in the 29? or should i just get a tank divider for now and separate him from all the bullies in the 29?

What ya guys think?

Marl

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I had a similar problem with one of mine..

I just placed them all in the large tank and kept an eye on the smaller one. it is now nearly as large as the rest of them.

it's a tough call .. you could keep it in the 29 and get it to growout some..but you may run into issues when you introduce it to the main tank after another month.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Fish seem to grow faster when they're in a bigger tank. If they were mine I'd get them all into the 55 g as soon as possible. I think that'd be the little guy's best chance at catching up.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Fish seem to grow faster when they're in a bigger tank. If they were mine I'd get them all into the 55 g as soon as possible. I think that'd be the little guy's best chance at catching up.
:iagree: My sentiments exactly!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Thanks for the replies people. I will try to get them in the 55 asap. Now before I do so I was wondering which method is better when I transfer them. PUt them in a bucket first then acclimate them to the 55 gal planted tank's water ot to just transfer them directly from their tank to the 55?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
As long as the temperature in the 55 is the same as the 29, then just transfer them directly over. It is very stressful to catch and move the discus, (for both the discus and you! LOL) and if they get really frightened by the net, the likelihood of them running into the sides of the tank, or decorations goes way up. I net and plop between all of my tanks that are the same temperature.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I use plop and drop.. use 2 nets tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store