How many fish in a 10g. quarantine tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
1 inch of fish per gallon of water is bunk. That's not even a working theory for FW, much less SW systems.

For a q-tank, you want to keep you load light, and preferably not mix fish that didn't come from the same source (otherwise, if they both have something nasty, both will get the other's ailment, as well as fighting their own. Not a good situation). You shouldn't put in a fish that can't comfortably turn around in the tank, and you should be certain to maintain pristine water conditions--large water changes is usually the easiest method. Some cheap silk plants can be added to provide some cover, without providing a place for the critter to get into that you can't get it out of.

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
I agree with OrionGirl about the '1 inch per gallon' rule. If you go by that, then it's okay to quarantine a 8 inch fish in 10 gallon tank. I don't think so. :rolleyes:

coyote94

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Roswell, NM
Visit site
WOW! First off, there is no such x" of fish to x gal of water in saltwater.. To get in that frame of mind can be catestrophic in the future.. It's a matter of discretion by thinking I have this amount of filtering, this level of aggressiveness, and this level of possible growth..

It's always a good rule to only q-tank one fish at a time. as Orion pointed out, you want the quarantine process to be as stress-free as possible. having more then one fish at a time in a q-tank can pose some territorial problems, and can also pass on possible infections from one contaminated fish to another..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store