How many gallons would this tank be?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
same as mine ...
125 gal

More than likely they have the outside dimensions of the tank, and of course the water goes on the inside, so the dimensions are a little bigger...

You can click on the calculator link above and plug in your own domensions too...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/calc.php

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you zigman. I typed it in and got 140.46 gallons using the adds dimensions. That is quite a bit off even if measuring from the outside. I'll give them a call today and see what's up. I'd be happy with a 125!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Thank you zigman. I typed it in and got 140.46 gallons using the adds dimensions. That is quite a bit off even if measuring from the outside. I'll give them a call today and see what's up. I'd be happy with a 125!
Actually its not that far off.
Plug on the dimensions 71x17x24 (Minus 1 inch on each dimension) and see what you get.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It's actually an older 135 gallon (used to be a standard size from All Glass, Perfecto, and Oceanic). A standard 125 is 72 x 18 x 23 and is made with thinner glass. Aquarium sizes are often based on outside dimensions (displacement) not net volume. Which is why you see them labeled as "Size 125" and not "125 Gallon" on the labels.

Because there was such little difference in dimension but a big difference in price 135's have been discontinued by all brands some time ago due to poor sales.

Zigman is right though, Take an inch off each dimension and you will be relatively close to the net volume.

Andy

P.S. If I could see the frame I could tell you which brand it is but it's covered by the stand in the photos. The tank with the white cabinet next to it is an Oceanic Washed Oak setup though.

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
He's not interested in a trade with me. All my aquariums are freshwater and he's more interested in salt. By him saying that I took it as though he thought my aquariums were ugly. :thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store