how many GF's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
hey everyone, im new to mini ponds and have just bought a 150 gallon with a small waterfall , fountain and filter. the large part is about 2 feet deep by 4 by 3 and the small part is about 1 1/4 deep by 3 by 2. I was curious how may of those small feeder goldfish i could stick in each part. I think it will look pretty cool next to my patio. Oh and dont worry they will only be there for the summer months then they will go in my friends pond.

Thanks for your guys's help

Paccula

AC Members
Dec 14, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
First of all, feeder fish are not the best choice. They are bad stock (possibly imbred), and kept under horrible conditions. While shopping for goldies for my pond I noticed a feeder who's eye had been eaten out by the others. Not a good sign. feeders will probably get sick on you and not live very long.
I would find some common, shubukin or commets. For 150 gallons you can probably fit 3 or 4 goldfish. Do not get koi, they are way too big.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Paccula said:
First of all, feeder fish are not the best choice. They are bad stock (possibly imbred), and kept under horrible conditions. While shopping for goldies for my pond I noticed a feeder who's eye had been eaten out by the others. Not a good sign. feeders will probably get sick on you and not live very long.
I would find some common, shubukin or commets. For 150 gallons you can probably fit 3 or 4 goldfish. Do not get koi, they are way too big.
All goldfish are the same species and all can get atleast two feet long given proper space and nutrition.

Paccula

AC Members
Dec 14, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
if the gold fish are small, then yes. When they grow very big, however, they may try to gobble up your minnows.

powellmacaque,
I reccomended certain types of goldfish because they are better for outdoors. fancy varieties prefer the warmer, still water of an aquarium. some types need carefuly selected decorations to not hurt their delicate bodies/eyes etc. They are also slower swimming and may not be able to get enough food outdoors or escape preditors. sleek bodied fish are your best bet for a pond.

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
I feel the need to stick up for feeder goldfish. :) My parents have one in their pond who is now 7 years old and over a foot long. She has had babies and grandbabies, and despite her "common" roots, her offspring are beautiful. She is also everyone's favorite of the pondfish, as she's always the first to come up to the top for feeding time, and she'll rub against your feet if you put them in the pond.

I love "Brown" (the feeder) so much that the first thing I did when I finally got my own pond was buy a few feeders to stock it with. Even though the feeders are more like to have diseases when purchased, with proper care and some prophylactic meds, they can often do just as well as other goldies. I only lost one of the six I bought.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Not all goldfish get to 2 feet. Some goldfish of poor stock will never attain near that length. It can also depend on the time of year you buy your goldfish (gets complicated). Fancy goldfish wont get more than 10" in length.

nomadofthehills

AC Members
Apr 10, 2005
powellmacaque said:
All goldfish are the same species and all can get atleast two feet long given proper space and nutrition.

When was the last time you saw a two foot oranda? :D

I have 2 in my 400g pond, that spwned, and are 1 foot long, 2 yrs old. How long before they hit 2 feet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store