How many Kuhlis in a 15g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
I love these guys and I'd like to know the maximum I can have in my tank as I know they like company. My tank is 15US gallons.
Thank you :)

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Is it a long 15g or a tall one? Please provide the dimensions. FYI, kuhlis need the biggest possible footprint because they are bottom feeders and love to race back and forth. Additional height is really wasted on them. (In general, long tanks accommodate more stock that tall tanks because of the increased surface area.)

Will this be a kuhlis-only tank, or will they have tankmates? If so, what other fish are you planning? That's going to have a big effect on how many you can keep.

For a really useful stocking calculator, check out aqadvisor.com.

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
It's 60cm long,30cm in depth and 35cm high. I have some tetras, endless and pygmy corys in there and this is all I plan to get in this tank apart from kuhlis

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
10 kuhlis in a 15 gallon already stocked tank? That seems like too many fish in a small tank. I wouldn't do 15 kuhlis in a 15 gallon tank, either...that's a heavy bioload even if they're thin, low bioloadish fisn.

I also disagree that you need 10 to enjoy them...I have a trio of black kuhlis in a 20 long. I'd like to add 3 more, but I'm waiting for some elderly variatus platys and harlequin rasboras to pass on to fee up bioload (other tank mates are my black paradise fish and a clown pleco).

Anyway...my 3 are active and out and about all day. Granted, the black kuhlis seem much more diurnal than standard kuhlis...but in a well planted tank, kuhlis tend to be rather active even in smaller numbers.

Just my $.02 worth...YMMV.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store