How many of each? I don't want to overstock.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
My tank is a 10 gal. planted tank. I've decided that I want a Betta Imbellis, aka "Peaceful Betta," some Tetras (I'm not sure which kind yet), and some Dwarf Croaking Gouramis. (Is it true that the Dwarf Croaking Gouramis are also called Sparkling Gouramis or Trichopsis Pumilis?) Both the Tetras and Gouramis are grouping fish.

How many Tetras and Dwarf Croaking Gouramis should I get?

francheska

AC Members
Dec 13, 2004
NYC
Tetras do best in schools of at least 6 species (i'd recommend smaller kind like Neon for a 10g) and Sparkling Gouramis would do well if you get at least 3 of them, preferably one male and two females. The problem you may see is more of a compatibility nature. Betta may start harassing the Gouramis, even though it has a word “peaceful” in the name ;)
It is usually not recommended to keep both species together especially in a small tank.
Best,
F.

P.S.
From your other thread I found out that you were considering Cories as well. I would suggest 6 Tetras, 3 Cories (smaller once like Panda or Pygmy), 3 Sparkling Gouramis and NO Betta.
(you may have Betta but no Gouramis then :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Honestly even with 6 smaller tetras and 3 dwarf croaking (sparkling) gouramis your ten gallon is rather full. I especially think if you added 3 cory cats who could reach adult sizes of 3 inches each you are looking at a very overstocked tank. Ten gallon tanks are hard to stock, most certainly when you want schooling fish. If you want a betta, then do that with 6 pygmy cories and call it stocked. Pygmies only get to an inch long, school well and will be active in the middle and bottom of the tank. They are much more active in the middle than their larger cousins. The betta would be your show fish and likely swim on all levels. This is a winning combo that does not get you into dangerous waters (pardon the pun, but it could never be more fitting) of overstocking and the accompanying problems of toxins, cleaning, algae, etc that can come along with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store