how many of you do a complete tank clean?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I always vote for heavily planted tanks

1. it reflects what the fish find in nature

2. they clean up a lot of the bad stuff

3. fish feel secure...somewhere to hide, somewhere to spawn

4. every time you look at the tank its different

5. when you go on vacation they look after the water quality for you

6. your water quality is always better with a heavily planted

Plastic plants only cover point 3 above.

the only reason I would not put plants in is if it were not suitable, i.e. the fish eat them so it would be waste of money....however if you had 2 tanks you could transfer over the cuttings to such a tank

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I always vote for heavily planted tanks

1. it reflects what the fish find in nature

2. they clean up a lot of the bad stuff

3. fish feel secure...somewhere to hide, somewhere to spawn

4. every time you look at the tank its different

5. when you go on vacation they look after the water quality for you

6. your water quality is always better with a heavily planted

Plastic plants only cover point 3 above.

the only reason I would not put plants in is if it were not suitable, i.e. the fish eat them so it would be waste of money....however if you had 2 tanks you could transfer over the cuttings to such a tank
This is how I will have live plants in the future. I need low maintainance right now so plastic is fine for me. I would love live plants but I just can't add more time to this than I do right now. With 2 tanks (and more time) I could use one for growing replacements for the show tank. If the show tank plants don't last well I'll be growing replacements in the nursury tank. At least I hope it would work out OK.

Q

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
ok, so my otto's won't eat the algea, and seem to over look the flakes. I drop algea disks down, they seem to over look them for the most part. tell me how to add spinach? do I blanch it, how do I keep it down on the botton? I need some help feeding this guys. I do not have plants, I trtied they died. even the java moss seems to be fighting a slow death, I need sugestions :) thanks

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I just clean my plants off with a toothbrush when I do my water changes. I use the dirty water in my bucket and scrub off the algae. that way the algae is gone but much of the "good" bacteria on my plants stay.

in my other tank, I've had ottos for about 7-8 months now. they haven't died. they eat every little ounce of brown algae that even thinks of coming into my tank. those guys are working nonstop. I supplement them with algae wafers. They never seem interested in cucumbers or any vegetables I put in there.

however, in your tank I could see why you ottos died. they are really skiddish fish and quite small. you have many fish in that tank that are far bigger then them, they were probably super stressed the whole time. I wouldn't recommend them for your tank.

a bristlenose may be better, I don't know much about them though.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
algae

In a pail *outside* I use about 1/4 cup bleach in a gallon of water. Let my plants sit in it for 20 minutes or so then brush lightly (I use a toilet bowl brush purchased for this purpose) remove & spray w/the garden hose. Place back in a pail of fresh water, then rinse w/the garden hose again. It takes just a few minutes and I have never had a problem. Just be sure to rinse the plants VERY thoroughly. I also use this solution w/the brush on my log ornaments but I don't soak them. I'm afraid they may absorb the bleach. It works well. :)

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
I find SAE's take care of a lot of algae problems. A agree w/Nick completely in regards to planted tanks. :)

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I have 2 fat Otos and 2 SAEs in my heavily plastic planted 46 bow and I think I may need 1 or 2 more of each. They keep things clean enough for me now but there is a little room for improvement.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store