How many people work in an LFS?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
I worked at one on and off from 1985 to 1997. Low wages was the main problem although when I was the fishroom manager and got a new job with insurance, the owner offered to match my new wage of 10.00 an hour but no insurance of course-had to leave full time and go to Saturdays only.

It was a blast working with all the fish. I also enjoyed traveling to the wholesalers in Milwaukee to pick the best of the stock for the store.

I had a good system going on cichlids. I would go to the local aquarium society auctions on my own time and pick up cichlids dirt cheap that were not usually available at a decent price from wholesalers. I got store credit of 50% retail on the fish and an employee discount of 50% off dry goods which was close to cost. I usually multiplied my dollars 2-5 times and the store sold more fish at a better price-a good deal for everyone.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
LFS

I work at Big Al's here in Montreal. The money is actually not bad. I quit a 40G a year office job because of my health. All work stress related. Heart problems, high blood pressure etc. I also more importantly decided that I wanted to be around for Charlie. He is the most important thing in my life along with Sandi and I wouldn't be much of a father if I died from a heart attack from some stupid job.

Since I started at BA yes the money is quite a bit less but I still support my family have the same house and two cars etc...

I'm not bragging here if that is how it may come off. Yes my wife works ( same job as before) but our lifestyle hasn't changed much since the salary dropoff.

I love the fishroom work. I ENJOY getting up to goto work each morning. My 9 tanks at home haven't suffered one bit. I'm doing what I love at work and at home. The only thing that would be even more perfect would be a full time paying football coaching job. My other love.

Most importantly though. My blood pressure is down 30 points since I left my other job. I feel great, I'm happy and now quite healthy. (There always room for improvement) I would give up the extra money anyday to continue feeling like this.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
You should be proud of having a wonderful family and decent living. Of course that isn't bragging, and if anyone tells you differently it is because they're jealous! :p

Anyway about a month ago (or whenever Fathers Day was) I had a good freind die of a "stress related injury". It turned out to be a massive heart attack. He was on the job (working in the construction field) when this happened.

The next day, he was due to sign on a new house for his family of 7. He had 5 children, of various ages. They were finally a happy family, and he died the day before fathers day. :(

The lesson is, your health is worth quitting work for a while if that's what it takes! If my friend would have slowed down and not been so riled up about providing for his family, he would still be here today... I really believe that.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I work full time at a pet supply store that also has a freshwater fish room. I don't mind cleaning the tanks at the store and then coming home to clean my own tanks (I have 15 myself). I care about the fish there and love my own at home so I don't see that as a chore. I get $9/hour which isn't too bad and anything I want in the store at cost. Since I have so many fish to feed, 4 cats, a dog, two ferrets & two rats, that's a HUGE plus right there. Of course, it is nothing that could support me, only supplemental. I decided to "leave" my coffee drive-thru that I own (let my hubby run it for now) and do something that made me happy. I am around really cool people(all the employees are great!) and I get to talk fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store