How many pounds of sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mj9287

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
I'm trying to figure out how many pounds of sand will I need of pool filter sand for a 4 inch deep layer in a 220 gallon tank that is 72in by 24in . I know it will be 6912 cubic inches of sand but I don't know how many cubic inches are in a 50 lb bag of sand. Anybody got any idea?

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Hmm, 4 inches is a pretty deep sand bed. Deep enough that anaerobic production of hydrogen sulfide might start to be a concern. I just used a 50lb bag of pool filter sand on my 55g and got good coverage. enough so that I could mound it up along the back and still have about an inch up front. That's ~700 square inches from one bag

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I personally would never go more than 1 to 1.5 inches of sand in a freshwater tank, and frankly not much more than 2 inches in a reef tank. But I'm not a planted tank guy so I will defer to someone that is on the question of sand depth for planted tanks. To get an idea of how much sand you need, my 110 gallon tank, 60X18 bottom area, took about 60 to 70 pounds to get a little over a one inch layer.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
where are you getting the sand? whenever i've gone to lowe's or home depot they actually have little charts in the sand aisle that tell you how much sand you need to reach a certain depth in a certain area, like for play sand. it'll be the same for pool sand. when you go just bring a calculator or something and check the play sand bags for measurements. i have Quikrete brand commercial grade medium sand in one of my tanks. Less than $6 and looks great. It's a little coarser, so it doesn't move around too much and is a nice white color without looking unnatural.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store