How much Iodide in an invert tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I think it helps the shrimp molt without incident. I do add it. I do 1 drop per 10 gallons per week after WCs. But, I don't really measure it that exactly. Sometimes it's more like 4-5 drops per gallon, and I have not seen any ill effects. For what it's worth, when I stopped dosing iodine in my invert tank for about 3 months, I lost all my pond snails and ramshorn snails. That was really the only change besides adding some new plants and Eco Complete. No idea which was the real culprit. IMHO, it's better to be safe than sorry, and it's not harmful to add iodine. For a freshwater tank, the small bottles of Kent Marine Iodine will last forever and is a pretty small investment for a possibly large reward.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
How much is "a drop" is that like 1ml or is it less?

OK- just googled to answer myself... saw two answers.

One said 12 drops = 1 ml. One said 20 drops = 1ml.

Either way- at 2.5ml in a 55 gallon I've been adding way more than is necessary. (no noticable negative side-effect).

Is .5ml for 55 gallons a good amount? Gosh- that bottle of Iodide really WILL last years! :)

gwynne

AC Members
Mar 27, 2009
Do you have a syringe or eyedropper, or even a small turkey baster? that would let you do the drop thing. The kent bottles I bought have like a push down cap, which opens a small hole and lets me do the drop thing straight from the bottle.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Yup, I've got Kent's Marine... I think it has that type flip-lid... I guess I've always been worried I'd add too much that way. (although I never add anything directly to the aquarium- but into the water change buckets)...

Don't know why- I like mL, or fractions thereof more- makes me feel more accurate! I'll try the flip lid as a dropper... get over my squeamishness of drops as opposed to mL. :)

ctenophor

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
i;m a mariny, and i just have to say that the use of iodinein marine systems has been discouraged since around 2004.

what we always tell people who dose it, is to get a iodine testyer first, and make sure that they are within the recomended levels. often with marine systems the iodine can be kept in order with monthly. weekly watechanges. or in my case annual.

obviously since freshwatere systems dont use salt mixes it is hard to say, but i would try and mimick the natural sea levels, until you find info to tell you otherwise.

iodine in ocean is 5.723x10to the -2cnd power, however in aquaria it should read0.05-0.08 on the testing supplies for a marine set up.

good luck

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
Last edited:

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
You should go to www.petshrimp.com and search the forums there for information about iodine and shrimp. There has never been published scientific proof, that adding iodine, of any type, helps shrimp in any way. If you feel it works for you, great.

The majority of the shrimp breeders I know, do not use iodine. Fortunately low doses of iodine, with propper water management, will do no harm to shrimp.

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
I dose my CPO tank with eco iodine and eco calcium

my single lone cpo is at least 3 1/2 years old to my amazement I set up a 1g planted tank just for him now for the last 6 months.....

I did dose with my cherry shrimp tank however I screwed up and added too much flourite and blackwater extract and wiped out the entire colony so am getting them again after a year and a half break and getting some in soon-

I believe they can go without or with depending on your water/diet etc

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store