How much stress coat do you use normally?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Prime or Amquel Plus is better
IMO that stuff is a waste of money

Is there a reason you feel this way? I am always trying to learn, but not about to quit using a tried and proven product Without a real reason. This stuff has always made my chlorine dissapear, and I have never had an adverse reaction from any fish I have kept. It is also one of the only name brand chlorine removers That I have found available everywhere I go. Please let us know why you feel this way. Have you had a bad experience?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
There is nothing terrible about StressCoat. Like a bunch of other products, it neutralizes chlorine. Unlike Amquel or Prime, it does nothing for ammonia freed when treating water with chloramine, but if you only have chlorine in your water, who cares?

Many of us are highly skeptical whether the aloe in StressCoat is beneficial or not, but at normal doses it doesn't seem to cause any great harm, at least in the short term. (I find it hard to imagine that it helps fish to have gill tissue covered in aloe, but that's not really germane to the present discussion.)

There are lots of dechlorinators that are considerably cheaper than StressCoat, but it's not a horrible product. It just contains stuff than many of us would rather not have in our tanks, and you do pay for that extra (unwanted, in my case) stuff.

If you have chloraminated water, Amquel, Prime or AmmoLock2 are much safer (if you don't age your water). They neutralize the ammonia as well as the chlorine, making life a bit easier on your fish.

HTH,
Jim

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Jumping into the discussion late but I have been using Wardley's product for awhile now very successfully. But if stress coat was the cheapest I would probably buy it.

I let my water (chlorine only) sit for at least 24 hours (unless I am in a hurry) and then use a 1/2 dose just in case.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
See, in my area the stress coat is the cheapest and this prompts me to buy it. Long term it seems to work fine, my eldest goldfish which is into his teens now hasn't suffered from stress coat what so ever.

So I guess I'd say the same thing as daveedka. Certainly other people have their own personal preferences but as to one product "being better" or having "better outcomes"...well, its just not scientifically true.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
simplest, cheapest decholr

I use the simplest, cheapest dechlor... sodium thiosulphate. I bought a lot of dry crystals, more than I can use in my lifetime!

1 ounce of crystals makes 1 quart of dechlor which is used at a does of 1 drop per gallon. Treats chlorine only, if your water system suddenly switches to chloramine and doesn't tell you, you are on your own!

If anyone wants some, I'll sell 2 quarts' worth for $4, you pay postage.

Let's see 60 drops per teaspoon, 3 t per tablespoon, 6 T per cup, 4 cups per quart .... 1 quart treats 4320 gallons.

JSchmidt

Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I use that for my tanks at home, which all get aged water. Sodium thiosulfate works well, even on chloraminated water. My aging tanks all have a modest biocolony to scavenge the freed ammonia, and plain old thiosulfate is dirt cheap.

For tanks that get tap water added directly (e.g., at work) I use Amquel.

If my water was simply chlorinated, I would probably use whatever was cheapest and easiest to find, with the fewest additives.

Jim

JSchmidt

Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I bought mine from FishyFarmacy, but I think they've been sold and their new owners don't deal with retail. I believe anonapersona has a source... I don't think I've got it bookmarked...

Just checked, and it looks like National Fish Pharmaceuticals (who bought FishyFarmacy) may indeed sell to hobbyists. This is their product page: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html . It lists their phone number for hobbyists at the top. If you scroll down and select the link to the second page of products, you'll see the entry for sodium thiosulfate crystals. From the mixing instructions, it looks like the same stuff I bought. Super cheap and effective!

HTH,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store