How much weight can my floor hold?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I am moving into a new building next month (about a 4 year old construction). At the same time, I will most likely be upgrading from a 46g to a 90g.

I *think* the building is constructed from steel and concrete (because all the new stuff in this area is made from that).

So the estimated weight of my new tank will be in the realm of 1100lbs - all in one spot. How do I know for sure that my floor will be able to support that kind of weight?

Thanks.

Kuthoht

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
1100 lbs is nothing to a concrete floor

You'd only have to worry in like a older wood floored house or mobile home or upstairs setting.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
So it will be nothing to a concrete floor even if it is on the 4th floor of an apt building?

I will definitely double check the construction but I just want to be sure ahead of time.

Thanks!

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i wouldnt worry i'm sure its poured concrete floors in a building that size.. heck i have a 75G and a 55 G in my mobile home on the same wall

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
best bet would be to check your lease. a lot of places wont allow anything bigger than a 20 gallon on the 2nd floor. are you ground floor? if so, then weight on concrete slab wont be much of an issue.

were having to brace up our floor at our house due to the lack of it currently; we dont want to put a tank through the floor

aoscar

big cichlids rule
Feb 16, 2007
grand rapids, michigan
imagine 8 150lb men standing there? it'll be fine.
tank weight really isn't an issue in tanks under 150 gallons, especially in a 4 year old building. places w/rules like 20gal max is more of a concern of spilled water. think what your bathtub full of water with you in it weighs, and there are no special construction methods for floor systems in bathrooms.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Might be worth a quick chat with your homeowners insurance agent to see if damage from your fishtank (to your own property or a lower level neighbor) would be covered by your policy. Certain items in homes may need some separate coverage. (owning a woodstove is an example)
Andy

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
Might be worth a quick chat with your homeowners insurance agent to see if damage from your fishtank (to your own property or a lower level neighbor) would be covered by your policy. Certain items in homes may need some separate coverage. (owning a woodstove is an example)
Andy
Typically -yes. They cover water damage from falling water, not rising water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store