How often do you...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I may have asked this before but I just got a new led light for my 75g. So before I stuck it on the tank I cleaned the glass lids. Eww! But I didn't go all out with a vinegar soak to get all the mineral deposits off. Just a plastic scrubbie under running water, it got most of it. Gee, a new light now I see some more chores I've been slacking on. BBA (yeah, I knew) & overgrown sword plants...even in a biggish tank they get large!

I clean prefilter sponges every week or 2 (eek or 3?!?)...HOB filters when the flow slows even with rinsed out prefilters, say every month? Same for canister filters but much, much less often. I think I might clean lids every year...whether they need cleaning or not, lol.

In my lame defense I have very lightly stocked tanks but with lots of plants. I almost never test unless something seems wrong or there's an unexpected fish death. My 2 tanks with fish have been running for 11 years or so & some of my fish are at least that old. I see a fry or 2 in my sewellia loach tank every year & have gotten 1 aeneus cory fry in another tank but just once. That fine by me, I'm done with heavy breeders of any species, too much work.

My "big" 5ft 110g tank has never had fish, just plants. I envision a biggish school of denisoni barbs (roseline or red line barbs) but with covid my plans have been on hold for quite a while...Tank is in our "dining room"...we don't see it much beyond 1 end & kind of forget it's there...no fish to feed or look at. Slow growing plants that only need root tabs every few months...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Congrats on the LEDs!

My HOB sponges get squeezed out every week in the drained tank water with my WWCs.

My canisters easily go 6-9 months. I try to gear them for the warmer months and clean them out side with the garden hose / sprayer.

My glass tops get a quick wipe down with a paper towel during the WWC. I get tons of mineral build up on my HOBs and plastic bits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store