How often to change Filter Media?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
As for me i have 5 setups 3 of those being Tanganyika setups and the other two, 1 is a albino bristelnose pleco breeding program setup and the other is a checker board barb setup, this is what makes me happy and what i like, its all about what most hobbyist like, i have seen many tanks in my time and i would say wow how is that possible, where there is a will theres a way, is it natural probably not, does it work most likely yes, some hobbyist frown apon such setups thinking well the fish are going to be the ones who pay the price for such a setup most likely so, will this setup that homeuser is currently keeping work well it might and or may not he may come home to a crash and the whole tank wiped out well so could i with my setups, i know certain species require diets that specialize to just them and the longivity of a fish could be in geopardy with a wrong diet not fit for the species being kept, so if this is what a hobbyist wants to do than a taylored diet will have to come into play with multiple species from different classes in mind, so a rethought process will need to be implemented as to avoid health issues later down the road, if this means buying 5 different canisters of foods and mixing them together and or target feeding this is what needs to happen, with the high bioload of multiple fishes a weekly 50% water change will need to be followed strictly as with the maintenance of filters, i have always in the past changed all media in my canisters with no ill effects but i dont take out the bio balls or ceramic rings and scrub them clean either, i do however completely change filter pads, ammo chips and charcoal out when maintenance insues of filters..

And this is the question at hand does one believe that different classifications of species from different continents to be cruel if the answer is no than continue on if the answer is yes than a rethought stocking plan would need to insue..

Take care all and i leave you with this thought - do fish deserve our utmost care?
I believe if you search inside you will find the answer to this question!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store