How often to clean inside of Eheim filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This may be a stupid question, but how often should I open up my Eheim 2217 cannister filter and rinse the filter media? I've got a relatively new tank running (set up beginning of January), and while I do a partial water change every week, I haven't yet opened the filter up to clean inside it. I've done some research to see what other folks do, and it ranges from monthly to annually!

I appreciate any advice & recommendations... thanks.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I clean my cannister once a week. It really depends on how much waste is going in.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
your canister shouldn't need cleaning until you see the output flow from it starting to reduce. that's what tells you the media is getting clogged. if your tank stocking is light and the fish are not big waste makers, you can go a long time in between filter cleanings. i have a very messy oscar and another larger cichlid in one tank, and my rena xp4 canister only needs cleaned every few months at most. the aquaclear 110 hob on the tank gets cleaned every couple months.

when you do go to clean the media, rinse it in a bucket of water you've removed from the tank. cleaning media with tap water can kill off your beneficial bacteria due to the chlorine.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have the 2217 too. I didn't clean mine for almost a year due to my neighbor telling me
I didn't have to(he had owned a lfs)so I took his advice:( Now I clean it every 3-6 mos. Rinse
out in tank water like BFM said too so you don't loose any of the good bacteria. The only thing you will probably have to replace is the white pad on top.
You have a new 2217, how do you like it so far? I heard some stories about the newer ones
not being as quiet as the older ones. I just got a 2215 for a 40g I hope it works just as good as the
one I have.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I replaced the white pad with filter floss which I replace monthly, I will be back washing the filter on a 6 monthly basis I think. It really is amazing how hassle free these eheims are!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
instead of using filter floss (which is an absolute pain to get off if it wraps around your impeller, lol), try polyester batting. a big bag at somewhere like walmart is super cheap, and lasts forever. heck, if the batting isn't super dirty and gross in my filters, i just rinse it under tap water, dunk it in a container of dechlorinated water (high chloramines in my water here and i'm paranoid for the fish, lol), and toss it back in my filter. rinsing with tapwater is just fine in this instance for the batting, as the bene-bacteria on it would have been taken away if replaced anyway.

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
instead of using filter floss (which is an absolute pain to get off if it wraps around your impeller, lol), try polyester batting. a big bag at somewhere like walmart is super cheap, and lasts forever. heck, if the batting isn't super dirty and gross in my filters, i just rinse it under tap water, dunk it in a container of dechlorinated water (high chloramines in my water here and i'm paranoid for the fish, lol), and toss it back in my filter. rinsing with tapwater is just fine in this instance for the batting, as the bene-bacteria on it would have been taken away if replaced anyway.
I second using the batting. Got some from a local fabric store for $5 a bag and replace it every other month in my Eheim. Makes cleaning it a breeze. I still have half a bag and is over a year old.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I have the 2217. I used to clean it every 6 months. I recently went to every 4 months and definitely will not due it any sooner. I know a guy that cleans his once a year. They are definitely good for the 6 month range.

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the advice everybody! I guess I'll give it another couple of months, as the flow still seems great, and I'm understocked.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
My filter floss doesnt clog my impeller.... It couldn't get thru the plastic case the media is held in I doubt....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store