how often

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Those tanks seem like they don't need a water change that often. Probably 30% a week would be cool, especially since they have plants in them as well. But I would guess that as long as the water params (pH, temp etc...) don't fluctuate too much then it isn't going to hurt, just means a lot of work that isn't necessary.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
If your nephew is willing to do 30% water changes daily, all the more power to him. I don't see a major problem with it, assuming the water he puts into his tanks are free from chlorine/chloramin.
Doing frequent water changes usually means a more stable tank. The tank conditions will be much more simliar to your tap water, which can be a good thing. If for example, something bad happened to his tanks (ie. dropping a can of food into the tank by accident), he can do several very large water changes w/o incident since the water in his tanks is close to that of tap water.

HTH
-Richer

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
If I were willing and able to do the plumbing for it, all my tanks would be set for small daily changes, so I'm w/Richer on this. "Small" in this sense would be a bit more than the quantity required to keep the tank water identical to the tap parameters.

Meridian makes a good automatic changer which I've used and love.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store