how predatory are crayfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

raincoat

AC Members
Jan 14, 2011
2rivers - thanks, but give it up - everyone reacts differently.
we only need to plant the seed of an idea in people's heads,
we don't need to stick around until it grows into a consensus.
...inception.

But on a more related note, I completely agree that if you desire to keep crays in a community, you should be open to new suggestions and not be so quick to condemn.

Racheleeyore

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
PA
Real Name
Rachel
I have dwarf crays living with shrimp and fry - they get along as long as no one gets in the cray's face (silly curious fry). Then the cray rears up and the fry swims away.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
just to add something that surprised me with my CPO berried famale;
she alone shares a tank with a Vampire crab. I know from experience
that crabs can be stubborn and not move while crayfish try to pass by
and can pull crab limbs off in the process. however the CPO is half the
mass of the crab, and I didn't think I would have any issues with them.
till one morning I noticed a crab limb on the substrate, and sure enough
my one female crab was missing it. it just goes to show you how even
when it's relative size versus temperament, temperament will always win.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
to bad cray claws and cat claws/finger nails are nothing alike....
..it would be more akin to chopping off the tip of your finger(or your cats toes,,,just the tips) every few months..but its OK because it will grow back.

to the OP: i have just started keeping crays..they are fun little things^_^ but from what i have researched you try them in your tank to see if your cray will eat your fish , and run the risk of losing some fish you like. or you get there own little tank.
I have a marbled cray, she is in a 2.5 for now with a few guppy fry..that she ignores...snails on the other hand are her favorite! she destroys them...like 10 pea size ramshorns and pond snails a day....little monster^_^ good thing i have s surplus of snails.

I found most of it depends on the individual cray....and the species.

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
Well, it really is about keeping everything appropriate. I have 3 P. clarkii crays in a 150g with large plecos and smaller armoured catfish. Never an issue for two years now. Also i have a colony of marms that never bothered even kuhlie loaches or pandy cories for years. It is a matter of putting the right critters together to begin with, and giving everyone the room they need to prosper. Did we all forget the golden rule of fishkeeping? RESEARCH!!!

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
I have a few CPOs scattered about in my three tanks. I've noticed they all are different in temperament. One has been known to jump at a fish if it wants some food, but usually they swim off if they get too close to a fish or another cray. I love their personalities, really.

mela

AC Members
May 9, 2011
orange park fl
Real Name
Melvin Avery
Hi All
I have 6 in one tank 8 crawdads in the other. Have no idea what species they are. Everyone has a different personality. The big plecos just toss them off. However there is a couple that the plecos let them crawl all over them. Looks like they are grooming the plecos. Lost two crawdads early this am. They were molting and were attacted. These little beasties are wunderful to watch.
The tanks are well water and local vegies from the pond.
Have never even concidered mutilating my crawdads.

Later
Mel

redperphexion

AC Members
Jun 19, 2009
Canada
Real Name
Laura
Just wondering, does this "trimming" involve only shell-shortening/dulling, or cutting through actual meat and connective tissue?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store