How should I transition into a Planted Aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MTfan

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Kimberly, WI
Hi there. My question is this: I just set up a 55 gal. (about 3 weeks ago) with an undergravel filter, 2 Penguin 550 submersible power heads, a Millennium 3000 wet-dry multi filter, 32 watt light and pea gravel substrate. I told the employee at the pet store about my intention to do a planted aquarium and they still suggested the same stuff.

I've just started doing some reading about necessary substrates (Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock) and so far it sounds like the undergravel filter and pea gravel are not the best choices. Do I need to tear it down and start over with better substrate for plant roots? Will the undergravel filter be okay, or does it need to go? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :help:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Really sorry, but I think you should start over.

1) you need at least 2+ inches of gravel for plant roots. This much and you UG filter will clog.
2) the gravel is too big.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Pea gravel is not the best choice, but you can lace some smaller substrate in without a lot of difficulty. mixed sized substrate isn't usually a bad thing IMO, but it will settle out and seperate over time into large and small layers. Once the plants are rooted good, they won't mind. I have not tried much with enriched substrates, and do well enough with plants. Do not fall into the belief that an enriched substrate is a reqirement. Smaller substrates are much easier to work with, so I do reccomend them, but plants are far more adaptable than most folks think. Additionally, your RFUG/ UGf will be far more effecient with a smaller substrate. Sand is out, it doesn't work very well with undergravel, but I use a lot of small aquarium gravel without issue on my Undergravel set-up.

RFUG is IMO one of the best ways to go with plants, not by any means the only way, but certainly not a bad option. Just Buy the Reverse flow sponge kits for your penguins and reverse the flow on the undergravel. Penguin powerheads are my weapon of choice for RFUG set-ups. The sponge kits will cost you less than $10 and work very well.
Dave

MTfan

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Kimberly, WI
Sure wish the people selling this stuff were more knowledgeable! I told them I was completely new to aquariums (which is probably why I didn't know any better when given bad advice) and needed all the help I could get. As far as I could tell, they didn't even carry any substrate that was finer than pea gravel. Hmph! (except maybe the small bags of neon colored gravel- which is NOT the look I'm going for)

As for the RFUG...can you suggest a resource where I can learn a little about it? I'm not familiar with how it works.

Thanks!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
http://www.aquasource.org/CMS/modul...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1

Quite possibly the best article ever written for general information on undergravel filter methods.

You can run a search on RFUG here and will get a whole bunch of threads which contain every pro and con comment you could imagine.
I have run both conventional and reverse flow undergravel extensively, and while conventional ugf is a good system, RFUG takes away virtually every disadvantage or concern with undergravels, additionally, RFUG comes close to eliminating maintenance by comparison.
dave

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
I agree with daveedka that RFUG is a great filtration method with planted tanks. As for the substrate, pea gravel can work if you mix in something like flourite or laterite into the soil. Not only is it a smaller grade, but it provides a good source of nutrients for your plants.

MTfan

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Kimberly, WI
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I have some things to mull over and read up on. :read:

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I think you should get some more light as well. In a non Co2 tank of that size I would go for about 2 to 3 watts per gallon, with what you have at the moment it is less than 1 w/g.

MTfan

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Kimberly, WI
Another question....

I have another question....I've purchased some smaller gravel, and would like to know if it would be a good idea to add some flourite in with it, or if any of you might have a better option.

:dive2: :help:

I have also been reading that mercury vapor lamps are a better choice than florescent. Any suggestions?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Take a deep breath and slow down a bit.

First, decide what type of a tank you want to have - a plant colector's Dutch style aquascape with a huge variety of colors and leaf and plant forms, a dramatic Amano style tank that knocks your socks off with design using many of only a few plant species, or a community tanks with plenty of healthy plants and a big variety of fish? Or a fourth variant with pretty much plant it and forget it upkeep. Then decide how much time you want or or are willing to devote to grooming and pruning to maintain the tank. The first three variants are in decending order of required upkeep, all pretty much the same on feeding (the plants) 1-3x per week (or more) and one sizeable water change per week. The forth is little or no upkeep beyond feeding the fish.

Then decide whether or not you will go for pressurized CO2. If you will not, stay at or below 2W/gallon and do not plan on demanding plant types.

When the article daveedka cited was written some time back, I had not played with RFUG planted, so did not suggest it then. Now I am quite comfortable with the technique and will revise the article soon to include that practice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store