How strong should the water flow be?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sepehr

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I have 350 gallon tank & my canister (filter) filters 400 gallons per hour and the flow from the spray bar is just too strong because all the stem plants start to bend. So I closed the intake pipe halfways & flow is just right IMO. Im in a dilema coz this way my tank wont benefit from the full force of the filter (Ive heard too much filteration doesnt do harm) yet I want my plants to have a right, smooth flow. I have spray bar installed 5 inches below the water surface coz next week Im getting my pressurized CO2 system & Ive heard less surface water agitation helps the CO2 to diffuse properly. According to the LFS person the filter is right for my tank but I didnt mention to him I was going to plant it. So what do you think should I leave the filter circulation at 50% or should I just let it at its 100% capacity? Right its doing about 200 gallons per hour instead of 400...oh I dont have any fish yet, the tank is one moth old.

TIA :)

sepehr

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
CORRECTION: my tank is almost 100 gallons.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
The more flow you have, the better the change the filter will suck up the gunk around the tank. Could you possible point the spraybar towards the front of the tank rather than going to the stems of the plant? If not, you can also angle it down.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
You can have it higher up near the surface, just angled downwards. I have mine just an inch below the water pointed at the middle of my front glass. You could have it pointed at the front just maybe an inch or two lower... I guess it depends on how you plan to grow your stems/plants. If you're just wanting stems in the back, you could put the spraybar along the width of the tank, shooting water down the length (in front where stems aren't) and the return at the opposite end.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i would say you can definitely do better than 200gph. i also agree about adjusting your spray bar placement to fit your needs. you do want the surface moving, just not breaking/splashing. as mentioned, i too have my spraybar up high in the water column. on my 50 it's suction cupped to my glass lid and pointed down/forward. it's still under water since i keep the water line high...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store