How tall will Glosso get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Wow! Since I let my tank become over-run with plants and the glosso was shaded, it has all shot up. I'm just wondering if it'll reach a max height and what that height is. Right now, some is 5" or so high.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
It will grow vertically and continue on up if shaded or for some other reason is light starved. Just cut it back low, lose the shading plants, and it will resume it's horizontal grow pattern. Sometimes it needs a lot of pruning to be trained to stay down. Keep after it.

Len

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Interesting. I'm thinking I will allow much more area for the glosso (less for a few small bunches of stem plants -Sunset hygro., Anacharis, Stargrass, some crypts and vals, and of course, driftwood with J.fern/Anubia) when I re-do the tank. Being the tank is 24" high, I think I'll let it grow up some...looks natural.
Any downside to this?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I agree with djlen, its probably not getting enough light to allow it to grow horizontally.
Shouldn't be any downside in letting glosso grow upward. Some people don't like the look, but its all personal preference.

-Rich

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I had it reach 8" (on purpose) but the tank was only 12" tall and then I put it into a high light tank. I kind of liked the look it gave....if you're not wanting it for carpet, of course:)

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
also depends how you plant it...
if you drop in two stems, one all the way down and one only half way down, the all the way down one will grow horizontally and the half way one will grow vertically (in my experience)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store