How to apply a background?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtnhomedude

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
I just tape one side, stretch it taut and tape the other. It's always worked for me.
I use to do it that way but by applying something (i.e. Vaseline, veggie oil, seaview, personal lub...) It really makes a massive improvement!

I am considering painting it when and if I have empty the tank for whatever reason!!!!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I hate those flimsy backgrounds of the rolls... I go to the local drugstore and buy those large thick pieces of construction paper.. and simply tape them onto the back-- looks nicer, last just fine as long as you dont spill a bunch of water on it, cheaper, and MUCH easier to apply, no bubbles at all

Rollinondubz200

rollinondubz2002
Jan 13, 2009
Southwest Florida
if u spend the 6 or so bux for the seaview ull never go back to any other method.. it makes the background soooooooooo bright evin witht he lights off u can see background perfectly.. apply the stuff with you fingers to backgrounf then place on tank back and swipe with a creditcard or ID and take out the bubbles bu moving them to edge with card no tape is needed to hold on the back mine has been attached to the bac of the tank going on for 7 monthes now and not comming off

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
Why the goo? Do you spread it all over? Does it keep water out?????
The goo/oil/vaseline makes the background stick to the back of the tank. That makes the background look much brighter. Yes, you spread it all over (lightly), lay the background on it and then use some flat, smooth piece of plastic to rub all the bubbles out. Start from the middle and ork your way out to the sides, removing the excess goo when you get to the edges.

mtnhomedude

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
Ok so Petland, PetSmart and the other LFS didnt carry Seaview. Both Petsmart and Petland didnt even know what I was talking about!! Figures!! So I got some vaseline and pot scrubbers at the dollar store! Gonna try that!!

Thanks yall

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
if u spend the 6 or so bux for the seaview ull never go back to any other method.. it makes the background soooooooooo bright evin witht he lights off u can see background perfectly.. apply the stuff with you fingers to backgrounf then place on tank back and swipe with a creditcard or ID and take out the bubbles bu moving them to edge with card no tape is needed to hold on the back mine has been attached to the bac of the tank going on for 7 monthes now and not comming off
Ditto

Ive used seaview on a 180gal tank for the background and it sits flush with the glass no air bubbles and I have had is on for about 6months now. No problems.

Shogun206

AC Members
Apr 14, 2009
Boston
what do you guys suggest, blue, black...? i'm going to buy some background today.

i have 29gal planted tank, decent light, good asortment of fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store