How to breed snails??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
MTS don't need two, they are parthenogenic females. But they are also poor choices for puffer food, the shells are too strong.

And if you keep more than one of two small puffers, you will find you need breeding tanks for snails.

PCDawg

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Thanks guys...i have a lil 2.5 hex that i'll use to breed my snails...

What snails are best for puffers??? I haerd some snails have harder shells than others...

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Renegade - the MTS have an operculum and use it, so they might shut the door in the crab's face. You would have to test to see, and as they burrow in the substrate, only empty shells would tell you.

PCDawg - I use Common Pond and Ramshorn snails for puffers. The Common Pond snails breed at a smaller size and withstand more crowding, so they are likely the best choice. You will have many tiny babies to feed to the puffs. The Ramshorns actually have thinner shells, but not a lot to choose between on those two.

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
not just MTS(what MT stands for i don't know the S is for Snail right) but any snails. i'm looking for diff food for my crab.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Originally posted by RENEGADE
not just MTS(what MT stands for i don't know the S is for Snail right) but any snails. i'm looking for diff food for my crab.
MTS= Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They love to borrow into sand and the substrate of your tank. They are one of the best substrate cleaners for any tank.

jim

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Originally posted by isaac newton
When puffers eat the snail they spit out the shell dont they? Arnt rotting shells bad for your aquarium?
Shells are not living tissue. They don't rot.

They are mostly calcium carbonate and will contribute to raise GH and KH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store