How to care for fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I have a pair of jewel cichlids that I just got about 2 weeks ago. They spawned and there were eggs all over the drift wood. After a few days I noticed the eggs were gone so I thought they were bad or whatever. After another few days I noticed hundreds of baby fish (not sure if they're called wigglers).

I've been watching them for 2 days now and the parents keep them on the bottom of the tank. It's a planted tank with only some kind of grassy plants.

I'm wondering how they're getting fed? I crush up flaked food and hope it gets to the bottom. Is this a natural process? I don't want to lose these guys.

Thanks for the help.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Congrats! And yeah, it's all natural. A lot of parents will keep the fry to the bottom for the first few days until the fry gain strength and can swim more. I always fed my fry finely crushed flake as a staple and some microworms every once in a while. Brine shrimp babies are great too, but never had a kit or anything to hatch em. Also, the fry will eat the micro organisms that grow on live plants. And, they will also eat any algae growth.

steakman

AC Members
May 16, 2009
I feed them crushed flake, nothing fancy (regular flake that i crushed with my dried fingers).
You should feed them little meals like 3-4 times a day 'cause their stomachs are too small to consume enough food in 1 eating. After a couple of weeks, they can eat a normal 1-2 meals a day.
I also notice that the regular cichlid or gold fish flake will make them grow quicker and stronger than those fancy-super expensive little package, or tube, or first bite crap sold @ the fish store.
Hope it'll help.

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp and crushed flakes. They're doing well (what's left). I think I have about 10-15. They still spend a lot of time on the bottom of the tank. It's fun watching them grow!

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm watching them grow and it's fascinating! Yesterday I found another mound of eggs.........I was like "Wholy Crap"! They're gone off the rock so I think she's holding them in her mouth. I think there's about 10 from the first batch and they're growning nicely. I blew my light tonight so I'll get some pics when I fix it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store