How to catch Zebra Danios????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
A few months ago, I had just one long fin danio in my 72g because I had just moved him from the 10g. He was bothering my fish and I wanted to give him to my friend who had several in his tank. When he was over, he was looking at one side of the tank at some other fish. I had an idea, maybe if I put the littlest part of the corner of my net in, the danio would go over to it thinking it was food and I could scoop it right up. Well, I put the corner in and as anticipated, he went over to it and I scooped it up at like 2346546 mph. My friend was like, "HOLY CRAP!!!!" because he was just looking the other way and heard a splash and saw how was I moved. Try doing the same thing, putting the corner of the net in and then when they come over, scoop them up incredibly fast.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Just about as hard as catching them is trying to count them when you're doing a fish inventory, they just zip around too fast. Or if you're looking for a specific one, all the others are zipping around you can't single it out.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Yesterday night I noticed my fish had successfully spawned and I had no trouble getting the male out. I just put a little container side ways and the fish swam right into it. The female, however, was a lot trickier!! She burried herself into the marbles and started breathing heavily, and once she even jumped out of the water on to the top of the heater to avoid the net!! When I finally caught her she was so tired that she didn't even squirm when she was in the net. When I finally got her into the 23 gallon she was back to normal and is still doing fine. I got SO MANY fry out of their spawn, it's so exciting!

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
well i caught 2. I used a container's corner but they didn't care. I caught 2 by the 2 net method. I caught all of my other fish though several times. I am going to try again tonight around when i normally feed them and see if it works. i moved the 2 i caught into a 20 gallon that i am cycling for my mom. These same danios have now cycled 2 tanks and are about to work on their 3rd. thanks everyone for helping me!

RustyRay

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
After Hours

I've found catching fish works better after hours, so to speak.

I had a school of young Bueons Aires Tetras that I needed to remove from a 55 gal tank. I found the task impossible. So, I decided to wait until they had been in the dark for about an hour. I then suddenly turned the lights on again. The fish were hovering sluggishly near the bottom. I scooped them up with little resistance. They were all in a sleepy stupor.

Catch them when they are sleeping. It works.

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
if its not a planted tank drain most of the water out and you will have more control they will have less room to swim around

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
How the heck do you put salt on a fish's tail? And wouldn't that be bad for the fish?

Dave T

Keeper of the Work Wives
Nov 28, 2009
Osceola, IN
Holy thread necromancy!

I'll bet the danios have already been caught...or they have gone to the aquarium in the sky. :Angel:

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk
lol good luck an remember patience !!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store