How to cure live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Amonia is a good way to do it if you can good grade amonia. Especially if it is pharmacuetical grade but that is hard to find. You might check with your local pharmacy. I was actually cycling tanks twenty some years ago using amonia. I am not sure why it didnt really catch on back then. Oh well.

airbrnebkr

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
As always you all have been incredibly helpful
thanks,
Doug

BTW I got my Garbage can all setup to cure some live rock so when I get my tank cycled and can afford some live rock I will be ready. I understand it can take up to 3 weeks to get all the dieback taken care off. So I will be ready

Thanks

Dale W.

Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Doug,
There is no need to cure the rock in the garbage can at all. You are starting a new tank. If this was an existing tank with fish in it, then I would say yes, cure it. I am not a big fan of curing LR in a garbage can in the dark. IMO it is not really LR any more once you do that except for the coraline and some sponges and bacterial growth. Why kill what you are trying to promote?

Part of the reason for creating a good cycle to begin with in setting up a tank is to be able to have the tank handle a larger bioload at the begining. When this cycle is done, you can add LR to the already baseline established microbiological bed. You will go through a secondary cycle with the edition of the rock but it wont be anywhere near the extreme as if you did not do the preliminary cycle. This will assure that you will keep most of what you paid for on the rock keeping a more diverse ecosystem in the closed system that we call an aquarium.

Also while cycling your tank, dont do any water changes as this will also prolong and weaken the cycling process. This is also one of the drawbacks of cycling with fish.

Dale W.

Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
in short YES :)

The problem with adding LR to an already established tank is the posibility of the addition of amonia due to die off. This could be very toxic to fish depending on the dose.

Now, if you are adding small peices from your LFS or if you are adding specimen peices such as rock with calerpa( or any growth), then no, you dont need to cure it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store