How to determine gender

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jglove276

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
Can anyone point me in the right direction for good resources on determining fish gender?

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Yes, it really does depend on the fish. Some fishes you can differentiate the sexes by color. Some species you can differentiate by different anatomy. Some fishes you can tell apart from different traits, patterns, and sizes. And lastly, there are some which you really can't tell because of their similarities. :)

jglove276

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
I realize each fish is differant I am looking for a good book or guide that covers many types.

gerystuart

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2010
Hi..
What type of fish do you have?
It depends on the Species, some may have different Finnegan and colour, the males may be larger and the female may have redder eyes, the males may have a Gonopodium which releases sperm, and the females may have a Gravid spot which holds baby fry.As you can see it really varries, you mentioned a hammer head, they are saltwater therefore making it very hard to tell the sex of them.

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
I just throw 'em against the wall and if they yell "ouch, my aching b*lls" I know they're male!:evil_lol:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you keep in mind that eggs are much larger than sperm it can help you sex fish which don't exhibit obvious dimorphism.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store