How to do water change with sump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
This will be my first water change with a sump. Is there an easy way to do it and is there a wrong way? If I remove the water from the refugium part, will I lose a lot of the copepods and small critters? Is there a way to save them?

This is how I think it should go:
Shut off the return pump
Use a powerhead to empty all chambers in the sump
Re-fill all chambers seperately with a pump from the reservoir to avoid a mess in the refugium.

Thanks,
Tom

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I keep it simple...
I turn off the return pump, siphon water out of the main tank. Then siphon new water into the sump until it's full, turn the return pump back on, and continue siphoning water into the sump until the system level stabilizes and the sump is at the correct level.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
what FSN said. . .

Except, I'll pump the new water into the main tank, and turn on the return pump when it looks full enough, at which point I'll add water in the return chamber until it looks good.

joebcarr

marine newbie
Dec 29, 2006
cleveland, NY
dont you count the water in the sump??? i have a 75g and planning on a 20 gallon sump, i change water for 95 gals??

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I figure my 50gal sump really holds around 30gal from where the baffles are. The display is a 100 with about 150lbs or more of LR so I displace more water there. I'd guess I have maybe 100gal real volume total after all that and I hope I'm doing about a 33% water change with 30 gallons of new SW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store