How to keep plant in the substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kanvas

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
I got some Blyxa japonica and Blyxa aubertii a few days ago but I had trouble keeping them down in the substrate. They are really buoyant so they keep slowly uprooting themselves.

How do you keep those light weight plants down?

Last edited:

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I actually buried them deeper, using some substrate in between the leaves to keep them weighed down. Other than that, I used tweezers and pulled them into the substrate by the roots as deep as possible.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i use tweezers and a spatula (reptile feeding tongs and a plastic cake knife/spatula). i get it as deep as i can with the tweezers, hold it down with the spatula, pull the tweezers out and backfill/press down with the substrate.

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
I use a long pair of hemastats, grasp the plant stem gently and push as far into the substrate as it will go and it usually stays without any problem.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Put as much roots into gravel as you can, then put a few small rocks or those tacky aquarium ornaments around it. After a few weeks you can remove them if you do not want them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store