How to kill majano anemones?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I've had decent luck injecting then with boiling water. I use a syringe with a medical needle (sharp). Load the syringe up with with boiling water, jab the little rascal right in the head, and fill it up.

I'd say I've achieved about a 25-50% kill rate. The next morning, it is easy to tell which ones you got and which ones need another dose.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I use a blow torch, 100% effective as most marine life does not like going from 78f to 1300f. I also have the electrozapper (kinda works.. not worth the $1100), aptasia x, vinegar, and ro as options, I've also coated live rock with kalcwasser powder (pickling lime basically) for 20min and killed off tons of majanos in this 125gal reef with every single rock completely covered in majano (3 treatments over the course of 2 months and it worked out great.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
combining the words "salt water" and "electricity" usually produces at least one link to the Darwin Awards, but take a look at this post over atreefbuilders.com. Unfortunately the post is from last Feb. and has had no recent updates so I don't know if this device is available commercially or you will have to search out a DIY. But it sounds interesting. I would say "wildly entertaining too" but that would be giving way to the dark side. :)
I have the device its a little ove $1000, and only sorta works, gotta have a siphon to get the 'fried' aptasia out.. haven't tried poking my brother with it yet

^and I still want one! :) Must have laser :)
I saw that one too, I know how to build them but it seems like it would have a whole lot of other problems like unadvertant blinding.. it's a little permanent

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I saw that one too, I know how to build them but it seems like it would have a whole lot of other problems like unadvertant blinding.. it's a little permanent
Ya, ya. Jokes always funny until someone loses and eye :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store