how to start a reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The RO unit is basically a filter that you connect to your homes water piping ( connectors are supplied when you buy one )..Explained in last post what it actually does..I have attached a photo so you can actually see one..

As for how much they cost...This varies from place to place..See link below for an example..This is only an example, as i live in the UK so what is available to me, probably wont be for you..This is a US online store

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12093&N=2004+113773+22737

Niko

IMGnew.jpg

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
i guess 24 gallons per day isnt that bad... thanks for all your help .. i pick the stuff up tomorrow so i will probably be asking for some more help. opps one more thing the copepods and all that stuff will form automatically in the fuge if i put live sand and live rock in there correct. i dont need to start it off with anything do i?

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ask any questions you may have, thats what we are here for mate..

Copepods will start to apprear yes, or you can go out and buy some if you want some to start off straight away with..

Niko

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
ok... so i picked up all the stuff.. its not as much as i thought and my aunt broke some things ... its just the tank, stand, light and magnum filter, uv filter, and sand. the protein skimmer and the heater are broken along with some kind of current maker it said hydro on it.. The tank is only 30 gallons. So i have the live sand i am ordering the live rock can i get rid of the filter. it doesnt look like it is high powered or anything like that. I know i need to buy a protein skimmer, 2 heaters ( one for the bucket where i am going to put my new salt water to change) I want to have a few corals, ive read i need some kind of current what should i get ...anything else i need please let me know..
There was no refugium my aunt broke that too.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
As long as you have enough live rock for the size of tank, then i would not bother with the filter...

For a 30 gal tank, i would suggest a couple of MaxiJet powerheads or equivilent..Dont know whats available to you people over there..Am sure some-one will shout up some suggestions..

Dont know about the current maker, so cant comment on it..

It all sounds good to me...Get some pic's posted when your putting it together...Good luck..

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Het there..

I would probably suggest a couple of maxijet 600's in a 30gal tank...If you find that the circulation is a little strong, you can always adjust the flow vis the supplied air tube and valve..They are a great bit of kit, easy to strip down and clean, cheap enough aswell if/when you need to replace the impellor inside..Mine have been brill..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store