how to sterilize a tank that was infected?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waterbaby73

AC Members
Nov 26, 2008
Hello could someone tell me how to properly sterilize tanks that housed previous fish? Also I was given a couple tanks that have like white stuff near the top from water evaporating, how do I remove that? If this is answered elsewhere could i be directed to proper spot? thank you.

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Lots of hot water & rinsing!

As far as the hard water spots, good old vinegar!

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I use salt, vinegar and warm water. The salt not only provided a safe abraisive but also acts to 'sterilize' the surfaces.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Elbow grease.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I had a "mystery disease" tank, a 20H...every fishy slowly died in it.

Once all were gone, I left everything running and put 'one glug' of bleach in it (a few ounces?)...a week later the tank was VERY clean. I did a water change, added a bunch of dechlor. Re-cycled it with filter media from another tank. Fish are doing great in it now.

For the hard water stains, I'd get them wet and use a razor blade scraper to remove the worst. Vinegar or dilute muriatic (hydrochloric) acid may remove the rest; both are easily rinsed off vs something like "lime-away". you may find a permanent filmy stain in the glass...not much you can do with that.

waterbaby73

AC Members
Nov 26, 2008
Wow thanks everyone, I wasn't sure about using bleach on tank due to chemicals, I should of thought of vinegar though. thanks again everyone appreciate it. Now perhaps I can have pretty looking tanks to use.

kmcguire

Registered Member
Sep 28, 2008
Disinfection:
Remember that you are probably doing water treatments to get rid of Chlorine bleach already, so to some extent it isn't a problem. It is what I use. On the other hand, Peroxide breaks down into Oxygen and Water, so it would be safer. The thing is that Chlorine seems to be a better disinfectant.
I have also heard of using Potassium Permanganate, but don't know much about it.

Hard water stains:
You want some kind of acid, like vinegar or lemon juice or something like that. Do not mix this acid with Chlorine bleach though.

Ken

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store