How to tell if glass is tempered...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
LOL...so much good advice in one thread, I CAN'T HANDLE IT! :nilly:
LMAO, hahaa nice 1 paps. Dont lie to us, you know you went and tried it...

Actually I put on polarized shades and stared at the forum on my LCD, then tilted my head to one side and the screen blacked out. Its a pretty cool phenom. You know you want to try it. Go ahead, everyone's doing it.

-the pusher

lake_tuna

AC Members
Dec 14, 2009
by the way, what kind of tank is that? looks like a perfect size for something I've been planning.
Yeah, it's a neat tank. The trimming is actually near. I like cherry-colored furniture, so it will look good with the rest of my stuff!

MsGardeness

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Barrie, ON
I learn something new everyday! Tx! :dance:

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
For starters, that little sticker is a pretty good indicator. just sayin. :p:
Ok, ok, this was needed to tell on another tank without a sticker... dork! :)

-Aaron

The tank pictured was used because it had a tempered bottom and needed pics of said bottom.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
When I restored my broken $50 CL 244 tank with a new 24"X72"X1/2" bottom panel panel of special ordered tempered glass, the edges were beveled and the corner embossed with a logo signifying that it was tempered.

Another way to determine if it is tempered is to swipe it with a razor blade as most tempered glass has micro pits developed from the flash cooling of the outer surface at the factory. When the razor blade strikes a pit, tiny micro shards will form scratches. Why you should never use a razor or strait edge to clean tempered glass as the super hardened outer layer is extremely hard and brittle and much more easily scratched with hard objects, and why you should only use it on the bottom, never as a side viewing panel.

As far as using a hammer the edges of a tempered glass panel are the weak areas and while you can strike a tempered panel several times full force with a large hammer on the flat sides (compared to once with non-tempered) without breaking, the edges are very vulnerable and will shatter with only a few taps of a hammer on the ends.

Why I used it was after seeing how vulnerable bottom non-tempered glass is on a large panel, I opted to spend $30 more for tempered and it has paid off not using egg-crate have dropped a few big heavy stones with no ill affect and also becasue the bottom carries the most wait of the other 4 panels, sand, rocks and main weight. The extra $30 was well worth the 3X to 6X increased strength.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aupoGfnvScs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store