how to treat ick with salt and heat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sponge Bob

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
Sorry all but QuICK Cure is my way of dealing with ICH. Full dosage for 3-4 days and bye bye.... ½ dosage if treating tetras for 5-6 days and bye bye.

Did it several times and never lost a fish. You can lecture me on stress and mild depression or sadness of the fish treated by those chemicals... won't change my opinion. Better off getting rid of that crap ASAP then to take 2 or 3 weeks of salt to cure them. You claim that it's less stressful for the fish yet you don't mind letting the disease last for weeks.

Sorry, I don't get it... and please, I do not wish to get it either. I read enough Salt enthousiasts as it is.

To each his own I guess.

SB

Sponge Bob

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
mayreee said:
Salt and raising the temp works just as fast. You only do it longer to make sure it is all the way gone.

This is uncalled for. If you are trying for sarcasm or humor, the effort failed. Attacking another post--disparaging them for disagreeing--is against the TOS. OG

Last edited by a moderator:

mayreee

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
Removing the quote to get it off the board completely. OG

EXCUSE ME!!! I know how to take care of my fish. It sounds like you don't.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Edited to keep post inline with above edits.

Quick Cure will work fine, but is generally considered harder on fish. Plus any treatment that lasts less than a week will only treat the symptoms and not eliminate the ick from any tank and that is why there is the ongoing myth that ick is always present. Take the time to do a proper treatment (salt or meds) and the ick will be gone from your tank permanently unless reintroduced from a new fish or tainted water source.

Sponge Bob

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
TKOS said:

Quick Cure will work fine, but is generally considered harder on fish. Plus any treatment that lasts less than a week will only treat the symptoms and not eliminate the ick from any tank and that is why there is the ongoing myth that ick is always present. Take the time to do a proper treatment (salt or meds) and the ick will be gone from your tank permanently unless reintroduced from a new fish or tainted water source.
That is completely false and misguiding. I had a case of Ich in my goldie tank and I cured it in 3 days with Quick Cure without ANY other outbreaks. You seem to disregard the fact that Quick Cure will remain in water ( in lesser concentration, granted ) for a couple of days.

Quick Cure works fine, I agree. Harder on the fish... needs to be proven.

SB

mayreee

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
What I ment to say is that the signs of it are off the fish but it is still present in the water but did not word it right. Just because you don't agree or I didn't explain something well does not give you the right to attack me. You said something about how I take care of my fish and that was worse than saying something about me. I have been coming to this forum for a few months now and have learned soooooooooooooo much. Now I am just trying to help others who are just starting out like I once was. I will not post in any threads that you have posted in anymore as you know everything there is to know about fish and no one else knows anything. I don't see how me posting my opinion offends you so much that you just have to say something mean. My post never had anything to do with you. So please if you don't like anything I say on this forum keep it to yourself instead of trying to be rude.

Sponge Bob

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
mayreee said:
What I ment to say is that the signs of it are off the fish but it is still present in the water but did not word it right. Just because you don't agree or I didn't explain something well does not give you the right to attack me. You said something about how I take care of my fish and that was worse than saying something about me. I have been coming to this forum for a few months now and have learned soooooooooooooo much. Now I am just trying to help others who are just starting out like I once was. I will not post in any threads that you have posted in anymore as you know everything there is to know about fish and no one else knows anything. I don't see how me posting my opinion offends you so much that you just have to say something mean. My post never had anything to do with you. So please if you don't like anything I say on this forum keep it to yourself instead of trying to be rude.
I really have nothing against you. I'm just against false or illogical or off-the-wall statements. You have a tendency to make those. By the way, I never said anything about the way you take care of your fish. I'm convinced that you take great care of them.

SB

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
TKOS said:

Yes, I don't see how a 3 or 4 day treatment (or indeed a 3 or 4 second dip) could clean up the ich long term IMHO.

I have the opposite approach, which is just my personal approach and not agreed with by all, which is to have salt in the tank at all times. I don't think that this is necessary for all people to do however... We have a lot of fungus (and ich) trouble here in tropical Australia without salt in the water - in my personal experience... I'm also always moving fish around, etc...

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Sponge Bob said:
That is completely false and misguiding. I had a case of Ich in my goldie tank and I cured it in 3 days with Quick Cure without ANY other outbreaks. You seem to disregard the fact that Quick Cure will remain in water ( in lesser concentration, granted ) for a couple of days.

Quick Cure works fine, I agree. Harder on the fish... needs to be proven.

SB
Well, I suppose you could get a couple of dozen neon try an ld50 with salt and quick cure... hmmm. Probably not likely anyone on the list wants to do that. :eek:

So other than that I wouldn't really totally disregard (or claim to be false and misleading) the experience of long term forum members. Ich can and will stay in the tank long term, often without any overtly obvious signs of it's presence, only to suddenly 'reappear' in force during some period of stress brought about perhaps by some other change in the tank.

I had ich on some newly introduced fish in the tank recently and I'm not about to claim that my methods have totally erradicated it from the tank already, even though I haven't seen any signs for a couple of weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store