how/what to feed choc chip starfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
At my 2 year old insistance, I just bought a chocolate chip star fish for my tank. The salesman at the LFS suggested I get shrimp pellets for the starfish. Is this a good choice? How do I get it to eat. When it is on the side of the tank, I usually manage to knock it off when trying to coax it to eat. Should I instead try to place some pellets near it when it is on the groung? Should I put the starfish on top of the food?

kbaker721

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
PA
Visit site
I have a choc chip and I usually feed him some frozen shrimp every few days. Even when hes on the glass I feed him there so I don't tear off any suction cups trying to "pry" him down. His arms will fall back off the glass if he knows food is coming and then I just place the food as far in on the arm (toward the center) as I can and he eats it right there on the glass - its cool to see how the actually eat. Other than that I just put him on top of the food when hes on the ground...

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Shrimp pellets are tough as they are typically pretty hard. If you can pre-soak them, the star might find them more appealing. Fresher foods are much better, though, and shrimp, cockle, krill, etc are all good choices. Just set the food under an arm and the CCS will take care of the rest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store