How would I clean all this calcium buildup on my aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ceatwood

New Dad! Picture overload ahead!
Jan 17, 2006
Shakopee, Minnesota
I posted in another thread that I use Barkeepers Friend which is a mixture of a few acids, vinegar included, on anything I can remove from the tank, hoods, filter tops, filter intake if need be, etc and use it on them, then RINSE RINSE RINSE and my last rinse is usually in a 5 gal bucket with dechorinator, don't think the last step does too much but it makes me feel good.

On my tank stuff I can't remove I use a small pocket knife and wet sponge to get it off, it's slow and time consuming but I don't like the risk of using a chemical that could get into the water. Someone else in that same thread suggested the Magic Eraser sponges that are available and I am going to give that a try, mostly because I am lazy and like anything that could save me effort.

Muratic/hydrochloric acid availabe at pool supply, tile shops, hardware stores works a lot faster but carries more risk as well. I would proably use that (cheaper) if I had a place I could store it, and didn't have a small child that will soon be crawling over everything.

kelp

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
I think I'm going to go with the "Safe and Easy" solution because everything else sounds like too much of a risk, and I'm prone to having stuff accidently fall into the aquarium.

I did try the vinegar approach to some of the filter parts, but I'm worried I did not rinse them well enough.

Soulcoffr

Casiotone Nation
Jan 9, 2004
Eastern Iowa
Visit site
Just soak them in a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid, then rinse with water really well.

Acids are easily dispatched this way.

Rob24

AC Members
Apr 21, 2003
http
I also use vinegar. I take everything away from the tank. tear it apart, Put it in a bucket with an old powerhead (running) and let it work it's magic! Some times it takes a day or two for it all to come off. Rinse well, re assemble. No need to spend a bunch of money on specific fish tank cleaners.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
It is hard to go wrong with vinegar for scaly build up. If I was worried about an high pH tank, a baking soda rinse and/or baking soda in the tank should take care of any issues.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Soak the affected areas in viniger for two hours and scrub it clean. Rinse really well and it will look brand new and still be fish safe.
+5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store