huge nitrate problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
So, should I unplug the Canister for a few days and see how it goes? After another water change of course.

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
Okay. I am getting very frustrated. I have changed a total of 140 gallons of water over a weeks time now. I have taken care to vacuum all detrius under-around-in rock work. Cleaned canister well. inspected whole tank looking for dead animals. Tested make up water every time before changes. Cleaned all filter and power head lines. All of the softies seem to be doing fine. All fish are eating well, except one dominoe (who had his tail kicked by other dominoe) But he only has fin damage. I am to the point I am thinking of changinf all water supply and re-acclimating everything. Where should I go from here? Could the test solution be wrong? I think I will haev LFS test water tomorrow.

Last edited:

richtpe

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Have you thought of using a nitrate reducing media? I had a nitrate spike when I first got my tank going and wasn't able to get them lowered with water changes. I used Kent Nitrate Sponge with a lot of success. It reduced nitrates to minimal levels and they didn't go up again when I took the media out. From what I understand, the down-side of using things like nitrate sponge is that you're treating the symptom rather than curing the problem, but sounds like you may be up for that at this point.

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
I have D*nitrate media in the canister (about 7-8 days now) three trays full as well as two carbon trays. I have not tried another kit, because the one I have has always been fine. (I think, now I'm not sure) I have tested 10-20 min after each water change and the test comes out blood red every time. It is taking longer each time for the color to change but it changes within 1-2 min each time. I have never been so frustrated with something in my life. LFS told me that the nitrate pads I used to use they do not make anymore. When I had them I did not use them that much due to water being good at every test.

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
I had LFS test my water yesterday. As I figured, Ammonia 0 - Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 80-90 ppm. The only thing suggested was to raise ph slightly. ph tested 8.0. This was my fault as I did so many water changes in the past few weeks trying to control the Nitrates. So I'm back to square one. The more people I talk to on-line or in person the more frustrated I get. No one can give me any idea what is going on. Some have even told me, (don't worry about it the nitrate will not affect the tank that much.) Short of trying to find a Marine Biologist, I do not know where to go from here.

kissman

AC Members
Jan 31, 2005
have you found anything out i am going through the samething you are all levels ok except nitrates they are over 100ppm please help

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
still no change

I have now added another filter to my system,(wet/dry w/skimmer.) Now have a 404 Fluval as wella s the wet/dry for 75-100 gal tanks. It has been up and running for about a month. Still no change in Nitrate levels. The corals seem to be doing much better with the added filtration though. I have noticed some new shrooms as well a gorgian coming out during periods of low water in filter creating fine bubbles all around it. I have talked to different people till I'm blue in the face now and no one can help me firgure out the problem. I have changed over 200 gallons of water in the past few months and the levels still stay over 100ppm. I am beginning to believe, if it aint broke don't fix it theory. I have had many people tell me that their Nirates are runninglike mine and never have a problem. They all have gone throught he same series of changes and adding filtration etc. with no change. I am going to run with it for now, but I am scared that over time I will have problems. Does any one have a solution out there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store